First 30 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveo269

Hi all,I've been lurking around here for a month or so now without contributing very much (great advice by the way) so thought it was about time I wrote a proper post !
Not sure I qualify as a beginner as I've always enjoyed cycling,just not done much of what you might call leisure cycling since my teens,just cycling to work,pub type of thing ( It was only a mile to work,not sure that counts as commuting really !).After having my beloved Raleigh Kalahari (great paint job!) nicked a few years ago and buying a wholly unsuitable piece of rubbish from Ebay,another Raleigh,so not too bad but it was too small and had twist shift gears,which I hate,but only cost £30,and turning 40 I thought it was about time I bought my first proper bike for nearly 20 years.
Like a few others on here I'm quite a big lad,ok 19st,6 ',there I've said it ! so went down the MTB route and bought a Specialized Hardrock,not to do any serious off road stuff but perfect for the tow path and the paths across Salisbury Plain. However I soon got bored with dodging walkers on the Kennet and Avon so started cycling on the road more. Carting a heavy MTB around wasn't much of a problem,I've still got fairly good stamina and big legs,a hangover from all the cycling/running in my teens but the ave speed was woeful and the hills...forget it ! so last year decided to buy my first road bike since I was 13 (they were called racers then) and after a period of furious Ebaying and overtime I became the proud owner of a Cannondale Synapse and I love it ! It sounds obvious but the difference between the 2 is amazing,the poor Speccy's hardly had a look in this year ! I've even bought SPD pedals and shoes (not had a problem with them,and those toe clips p... me right off !) Anyway tomorrow I'm going to do my first 30 miler,my records 27 so it's not much of a leap...I'll let you know how it goes :thumbsup:

p.s any tips on nutrition for aforementioned ride,do I need any or is a bowl of cereal beforehand enough,I'm guessing a mars bar and a pasty aren't cutting it,I'm usually starving after 25 miles

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Fuelling before and during a ride is really a case of figuring out what works for you. In fact that can be said about all the minutiae of cycling.

If you're going out in the morning then a bowl of cereal is a good start (although it depends on the cereal: porridge is good slow-release energy, coco pops not so much). The key during your ride is not to wait until you feel hunger pangs before eating. If you're going out for a couple of hours or more try to nibble on something at regular intervals. What that something is is really up to you. A ham sandwich, a banana, fruit loaf... all these are popular. If your route rolls past a café take advantage of it. A coffee and a bun is good for body and spirit.

Enjoy your ride (from a fellow Synapse owner).

Sharky

Guru
Might be wrong nowadays, but I've stopped more than once on a ride when I was younger and bought a Mars bar to get me over the last few miles.
Cheers Keith

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Depends on how fast you want to go..... a fast 15miles, porridge with a little honey always worked well for me ..... 30 Miles probably a banana or two. If your feeling sadistic bite the head of a few jelly babies always works. :hungry:

OP
OP
steveo269

steveo269

Depends on how fast you want to go..... a fast 15miles, porridge with a little honey always worked well for me ..... 30 Miles probably a banana or two. If your feeling sadistic bite the head of a few jelly babies always works. :hungry:

I think this is very relevant. I did 50 miles this morning on nothing more than a cup of coffee before I went out, but it was at 13.8mph tootling along on my hybrid.

Thanks for the advice,speed not really an issue,I'll be happy if I can just DO 30 miles ^_^,my average is about 12-13 mph so I'm looking at 3 hours including stops.
Anyway,we've just got back from holiday and the cupboards are a bit bare so it was pancakes and half a gallon of coffee for breakfast and I've got a couple a cheese sarnies and some Jaffa cake bars for the ride,just what Alberto would have !

What you need to do is plan a 30 mile ride to a pub about 3 miles from home, pie and a pint is the best recovery meal for me (none of that europiss lager though, it doesn't quite 'hit the spot' like a good pint of ale) :cheers: :hungry: :becool:

Good tip I love the odd pint of Doom Bar but I'm more of a zyder drinker me old mate :cheers:

axwj29

I think I'm too late to this one? I did my first 30 miles recently. I stopped twice to eat, a banana and than a granola bar. I also had a decent meal (can't remember what it was!) about an hour before hand. Oh, and kept drinking.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice,speed not really an issue,I'll be happy if I can just DO 30 miles ^_^,my average is about 12-13 mph so I'm looking at 3 hours including stops.
Anyway,we've just got back from holiday and the cupboards are a bit bare so it was pancakes and half a gallon of coffee for breakfast and I've got a couple a cheese sarnies and some Jaffa cake bars for the ride,just what Alberto would have !

Good tip I love the odd pint of Doom Bar but I'm more of a zyder drinker me old mate :cheers:
Nice pint of 'Old Rosie' should hit the spot nicely, specially with a cheese 'n' pickle butty. :becool:

TheSoulReaver03

Did 37 miles in one go yesterday. A big jump from the usual 18 miles I do. Anyways, I bought 2 litres of liquids at the 18-ish mark. Good thing I came across that gas station, cuz my throat was really going dry. I also ate a couple of baked goods while I was at it, though you're better off with sugary drinks and some light food.

Last edited:
Top Bottom