First 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm sure regular Forumers get bored with these threads .... but I'm posting it anyway ;)

I went out after work today and thought I'd just see how I felt. In the end, I stayed out longer than planned and clocked my first 30 miler. Its amazing how satisfying it is to see the miles clock up on the trip computer.

Its also great to be going up roads I've never used before even though I've lived here for 10 years.

It didn't particularly tire me but my knee is grumbling a bit - so a bit of rest is in order I think.

Martin

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Well done, I think it is great when you go further than you have before. You will be doing a 40 next then thinking 50 isn't much further all good:smile:

funkidunc

Well done fella.

I used to live in Coventry so cycled aroud Leam, Kenilworth Warwick etc alot.

Now live up in the hills north of Leeds and getting back in the saddle after the birth of my son.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hacienda71 said:
Well done, I think it is great when you go further than you have before. You will be doing a 40 next then thinking 50 isn't much further all good:smile:

And then 100 km is no extra really, and because we're British 100 miles has to be within reach.... be careful now, or we'll be seeing you over on the LEL thread.

Seriously though, well done, rest the knee. Check your saddle height, then do 2 x 20 miles on successive days and build up gradually - it'll be fine in no time.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
;)
Great stuff, I guess not so long ago that would have seemed a HUGE distance :wacko:. Just make sure you don't increase your distance too fast, it seems your knee is telling you to take it easy. You may want to check if your saddle is at the correct height (too low and your knees won't like it, curiously for some people the same is true if the saddle is too high), and that you are not using too high a gear, i.e. pushing too hard at each pedal stroke ... apologies if you know all this already, just checking.

T

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hacienda71 said:

Yep, the plan is to increase max by 10 miles a month - so a 40 miler in June :becool:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Telemark said:
:wahhey:
Great stuff, I guess not so long ago that would have seemed a HUGE distance :smile:. Just make sure you don't increase your distance too fast, it seems your knee is telling you to take it easy. You may want to check if your saddle is at the correct height (too low and your knees won't like it, curiously for some people the same is true if the saddle is too high), and that you are not using too high a gear, i.e. pushing too hard at each pedal stroke ... apologies if you know all this already, just checking.

T

I'm aware of the checking saddle height etc - but think I need some professional help to do it properly.

My knee is a bit flaky after years of footy abuse when I was younger. Any suggestions for someone to advise on bike settings / geometry in the Warwick area?

on the road

Über Member
Well done, it won't be long before you start doing 50.

You might find it's very addicted, next you'll be doing 40, then 50, then 60, then 70, then 80, then 90, then 100 miles :wahhey:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Norry1 said:
I'm sure regular Forumers get bored with these threads

No :becool:

Norry1 said:
.... but I'm posting it anyway :smile:

Good :o)

Norry1 said:
I went out after work today and thought I'd just see how I felt. In the end, I stayed out longer than planned and clocked my first 30 miler. Its amazing how satisfying it is to see the miles clock up on the trip computer.

Its also great to be going up roads I've never used before even though I've lived here for 10 years.

It didn't particularly tire me but my knee is grumbling a bit - so a bit of rest is in order I think.

Martin

Great :biggrin:

There is a lassie on here, lets just call her Jane, who a year ago she was getting excited telling us about doing her first 10 miles on an off-road cycle path.

Now she is onto her third bike and is making her local road club sweat trying to keep up with her. Then the next day she will tell us that she is too tied to come out and play on the CC ride which goes past her house, turn up anyway, suggest the route which takes in more hills and blast the rest of us away. :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, as what others have said. Well done... now you have to start ramping up the mileague and before you know it, you'll have a 100 under your belt

DappaDonDave

good stuff...i got addicted to cycling last year and the Manc to Blackpool July bike ride affirmed my new found addiction...65miles..get on it this year, its worth it!

Chrisc

Guru
Good man! Just cracked 50 meself last weekend, also by accident, got to 35, felt OK and thought it's only another 15. Becomes addictive getting to another target! :smile:

tmcd35

on the road said:
Well done, it won't be long before you start doing 50.

You might find it's very addicted, next you'll be doing 40, then 50, then 60, then 70, then 80, then 90, then 100 miles :smile:

Yep, it's very addictive. You could quite easily find yourself doing 50, then 75, 60, 100, 75 in the space of just 5 weeks :biggrin:

Top Bottom