First 50+ miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
About to try my first longer distance ride, most of them have been sub 40 mile bimbles around where I live, but I fancy doing a longer ride tomorrow. Going to head from the wirral down to Moel Famau in North Wales, mostly cycle routed from where I am which is nice.

Just doing a mental checklist of stuff, possibly over thinking it, but as I am riding alone, thought it worth checking here just in case any one has any suggestions.

Just done a bike service, checked the obvious, and packed my rucksack with patch kits, tools (multi tool and chain tool) are all packed, as are a water proof rain jacket. Power pack for phone in case it runs out packed as well. Wallet plus money are all packed.

Just baked some flapjacks (raisin and apricot, mmmm) and going to take two bottles (650 and 750) with water and/or some electrolyte drink of some sort, plus some sandwiches.

I've planned the route, and I know where there are some shops I can pop into to get extra water etc.

Anything I'm missing?

aberal

Veteran
Nope. Nailed it mate. Go for it - it'll be hard, but not as hard as you think. Enjoy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No.

I don't want to be dismissive, but you're going to be out for what, 4 or 5 hours?

Just enjoy it!

You're right of course, but we can all remember when 50 miles was a monster ride. Like many others it soon fades and then 50 miles is a quick Sunday morning out with no more than a single bottle and an oat bar.

Good luck @si_c you'll be reet.

Sharky

Guru
Rucksack?

Will be more comfortable if all the weight you are carrying is on the bike itself, otherwise, it will be a load on your back and boulders.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
No.

I don't want to be dismissive, but you're going to be out for what, 4 or 5 hours?

Just enjoy it!

I'm sure I will, done 3 hour rides before now, no problems, but this one has a lot more climbing than I'm used to, just trying to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious.

You're right of course, but we can all remember when 50 miles was a monster ride. Like many others it soon fades and then 50 miles is a quick Sunday morning out with no more than a single bottle and an oat bar.

Good luck @si_c you'll be reet.

Thanks, it's not so much more than I've done before, the ride itself as planned is just under 70miles, but there is a handy station at 50 :biggrin: I have a tendency to overcomplicate things, I'm sure I'll have a blast once I get going! :smile:

Rucksack?

Will be more comfortable if all the weight you are carrying is on the bike itself, otherwise, it will be a load on your back and boulders.

Don't have pannier racks, I commute everyday with a rucksack anyway, so am used to it and find it reasonably comfortable.

Oh dear. Can't see Moel Famau from here today - it's lost in the clag - but it's been standing out clear as a bell across the Dee valley all week! Enjoy your ride - even if it is a bit soggy - adds to the kudos. Rule 9.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Oh dear. Can't see Moel Famau from here today - it's lost in the clag - but it's been standing out clear as a bell across the Dee valley all week! Enjoy your ride - even if it is a bit soggy - adds to the kudos. Rule 9.

Haha enjoy riding in the rain keeps me cool, should be ok later today anyway. See what it's like when I get to Burton marshes

martint235

Dog on a bike
No.

Just enjoy it!
I agree with Fab Foodie and Aberal, he's nailed it and it's 50 miles.

I'm an LEL veteran and yet if I go out for 50 miles the only thing he's taking that I don't is a phone charger. Oh and a rucksack.

One obvious thing not mentioned in the OP is a pump/CO2 canisters?

Top Bottom