First 50+ miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
More flatjacks !!! Enjoy the ride

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Thanks :smile: left at just after 8 this morning, got back a little while ago. Took a lot longer than I thought it would, in part because the 15km from Mold to the top of the hill took 2 hours. I completely underestimated the effect of rain on slate packed paths, and ended up walking the bike up to the top in places as I had no traction at all.

Ride down was utterly hilarious, and made the trip worth it, although not sure atm if I'll do it again :P Cake stop at the bottom was McDonalds, as I was hungry and couldn't be bothered finding a cafe :P

Strava link below for those who are interested.

https://www.strava.com/activities/329311805

Upside, flapjacks just reasserted themselves as my favourite food, having been displaced by Jaffa Cakes last week. Still have 3 pieces :biggrin:

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Glad it went well enough. I was going to suggest a cafe lock as it's a long walk home from a cafe just because some opportunist can't resist...

I was on my MTB, which has a d-lock permanently attached to the frame ^_^ Was fun, although my wife was less than impressed at the time taken :cursing:

Dave7

Legendary Member
You made a serious and fundamental error.
You SHOULD have gone New Brighton>West Kirby>Parkgate (or reverse) then you could have stopped at Parkgate for fish & chips AND an ice cream.

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
You made a serious and fundamental error.
You SHOULD have gone New Brighton>West Kirby>Parkgate (or reverse) then you could have stopped at Parkgate for fish & chips AND an ice cream.

It was pissing down :biggrin: Seriously though I have a problem with my routes in that I try to make Parkgate the mid point for all of them, mostly for the ice cream mind, so I'm a bit limited in choice.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Good on you for this ride. Looks like it was a belter!

I am planning my first metric 100 - and my longest rides so far have been around 50-60km.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Thanks :smile: left at just after 8 this morning, got back a little while ago. Took a lot longer than I thought it would, in part because the 15km from Mold to the top of the hill took 2 hours. I completely underestimated the effect of rain on slate packed paths, and ended up walking the bike up to the top in places as I had no traction at all.

Ride down was utterly hilarious, and made the trip worth it, although not sure atm if I'll do it again :P Cake stop at the bottom was McDonalds, as I was hungry and couldn't be bothered finding a cafe :P

Upside, flapjacks just reasserted themselves as my favourite food, having been displaced by Jaffa Cakes last week. Still have 3 pieces :biggrin:

Well done, Si :thumbsup:

Chuffed for you :smile:

OP
OP
si_c

si_c

Guru
Thanks all :smile: Planning out my next ride of similar length now I've had a chance to think about how it went. Gonna do it on the road bike though not the MTB :P

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
That rides on my doorstep and kudos to you for coming all that way and nailing the summit. The climb to the moel famau turning is a tough leg on a road bike so well done. If you fancy a longer ride on the road bike just keep riding up towards Clwyd gate and drop down into Ruthin. You can then skirt around the hills and track back towards Mold via Denbigh. If you fancy more hills just climb up anywhere on the left hand side and head towards Halkyn. You can then drop back down to Connahs Quay to pick up the cycle track.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
About to try my first longer distance ride, most of them have been sub 40 mile bimbles around where I live, but I fancy doing a longer ride tomorrow. Going to head from the wirral down to Moel Famau in North Wales, mostly cycle routed from where I am which is nice.

Just doing a mental checklist of stuff, possibly over thinking it, but as I am riding alone, thought it worth checking here just in case any one has any suggestions.

Just done a bike service, checked the obvious, and packed my rucksack with patch kits, tools (multi tool and chain tool) are all packed, as are a water proof rain jacket. Power pack for phone in case it runs out packed as well. Wallet plus money are all packed.

Just baked some flapjacks (raisin and apricot, mmmm) and going to take two bottles (650 and 750) with water and/or some electrolyte drink of some sort, plus some sandwiches.

I've planned the route, and I know where there are some shops I can pop into to get extra water etc.

Anything I'm missing?
Good planning. As you get used to these distances you will likely drop the wallet, in favour of a credit card, loose the charger (once you know the quickest and slowest times you can complete the ride over) and as @Fab Foodie says, you will soon be heading out with a full bidon, a spare tube, some gas, tyre levers, multi tool,and a credit card.

The sooner you can trim down the luggage and carry stuff in a small caddy bag (under the seat) it even just the jersey pockets, the easier you will find it.

Good luck.

Ps..I did a fantastic ride from Chepstow to Shrewsbury once it was one of the best rides of my life....
If you're interested, you can read about it here....see day four "contrast"
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Oops,,sorry my browser hid this post under the "there are more posts"thingy. Well done

Top Bottom