First 600 completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's still room on the Exe-Buzzard from Exeter this Saturday, for anyone who fancies a first (or even another) 600.

shirokazan

Veteran
It would be kms, not miles, but even so - 373 miles is a LONG ride so, yes - well done!

I would like to do 300 kms and if I bothered to attempt that, I'm sure that I would extend it to 322 km to get 200 miles in.

I can't see me riding much further than 322 kms unless (a) I got a lot fitter so I could manage a better average speed, and (b) Got much more comfortable on the bike - I currently start to feel sore after 100 kms and am in a lot of discomfort after 100 miles. If I did overcome the speed/comfort problems then perhaps a 400 would be an option, but I don't like riding at night and don't fancy sleep deprivation either so a mid-summer 400 in daylight hours would be my limit.

It's the Exe-Buzzard this weekend, Colin! Go on, you know you want to. You can get some kip at my place if that's the decider :okay: :smile:. Hell, I might even lay on some scrambled eggs, toast and coffee.
:bicycle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Assassin! :laugh: (Only 6,200 metres of ascent... :whistle:)

I am not even doing any flat 200s this year.

That's a typical average for terrain in a place such as Hertfordshire. In other words a figure for what is usually considered fairly flat terrain. Only a 1% overall average. A hilly 600km would be nearer 8000m or more. Of the course the climbing can sometimes be concentrated with flat bits inbetween.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's a typical average for terrain in a place such as Hertfordshire. In other words a figure for what is usually considered fairly flat terrain. Only a 1% overall average. A hilly 600km would be nearer 8000m or more. Of the course the climbing can sometimes be concentrated with flat bits inbetween.
Yes, and 600 km here could be more like 12,000 metres of ascent, but I've had enough after 100 km and 2,500 metres of ascent!

Top Bottom