First 'audax' bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm looking to spend £1000 max on a new bike via cyclescheme, its main use will be fast touring, quicker social rides, commuting (obviously), FNRttC, and my attempt at an SR series and a 10 x 100 km.

Can anyone see any obvious flaws in this spec...

Surosa S34C Audax frame with Alpina carbon fork
HS Integrated Alpina 1 1/8th headset
Stem Cinelli Vai oversize
Bars Cinelli Vai oversize
R Mech Campag Race Triple GS 10s
F Mech Campag Race
Brakes Mirage (is it worth putting better, by which I mean more effective brakes on? I'm used to discs on MTB and tourer, am heavy and want all the braking power I can get - will these deliver? If not what will?)
Chainset Race Triple 30-42-52
Wheels Handbuilt Ambrosio Zenith 36H Hubs, DT Black stainless spokes, Ambrosio Evolution Rims (I'm a big bloke and a bit clumsy at avoiding potholes when tired)
Tyres Schwalbe Lugano with beltguard
Saddle Brooks B17 with matching bar tape over Fizik gel
Cane Creek SCR5 brake levers
Campag bar end shifters
Cane Creek cross top 'suicide' levers (when tired I ride on the tops and my ingrained MTB reflexes want to brake from there, have had a couple of real heart stopping moments on my drop bar tourer where I've grabbed thin air)

Thanks in advance for your help

Cross posted on CTC Forum....

jimboalee

"5.3 Machines: (i) Any kind of cycle may be ridden provided that it is propelled solely by human muscular effort.
(ii) The responsibility for ensuring that a machine complies with the Road Traffic Regulations rests solely with its rider.
(iii) An event organiser may require full mudguards to be fitted to bicycles and to the single front wheel of tricycles. The requirement for mudguards on an event must be indicated in the AUK Calendar and in the event literature."

Your bike spec' sounds fine.

mercurykev

The spec seems reasonable, although I'd always put mudguards on an audax bike, which would usually mean long drop brakes (campag don't make these). I'd also veer away from an alloy frame but that's personal preference and also hard to do with a £1k budget.

Noodley

Mudguards. If you're going to be doing a SR series then the chances are you do not want to be riding 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km in the wet without mudguards.

And if the weather for the past few years is anything to go by then you will have to cycle a lot in the rain...

...you'll have to factor in the cost of cables as well. And don't forget the clamp for the front mech. Other than that I think you have everything else covered. But I might be missing something obvious.

And if you are used to disc brakes you will notice a difference in braking power - but Mirage brakes will do the job, although if you add 'guards you might want long drop brakes (edit - see MercuryKev's reply).

P.H

Über Member
The choice of brakes depends on the frame, the Surosa takes mudguards, but with what size tyres? I'm also a big bloke and wouldn't consider tyres less than 25mm and that's on a comfy Ti frame. I'd look for a frame that takes long reach brakes, the Kenisis Racelight or my choice at that price point would be the Tifosi Audax which will take up to 28mm tyres and guards.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bikes/963/1/tifosi-ck7c-audax.html
When comparing frames the chainstay length plays a big part in comfort, also important if you want to carry panniers.
I'm sure your spec would be a good bike and if you've already got a tourer you don't want to go to far down the comfort route or you'll end up with a lot of overlap. If you do want to go steel at that price Byercycles will sort you out (They're better than their website)
http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice 01- 01- 08/10R1008.html
I prefer Ergos, personal choice but at the end of a long ride I like the easiest option. I’ve also dropped the inner ring on my triple down to 28T I hardly ever use it but when I do I’m glad it’s that low.
If you don’t mind silver rather than black, there’s a few old style Record triples about, the last of the Alu ones, I got mine from GB cycles for £70.

I did my first few Audax on a Raleigh hybrid, I now have a lovely Ti Audax bike, though often use the tourer for over 200s or where I know there’s a lot of rough roads. I like having good bikes, but have also learnt that there is no direct relationship between the quality of the bike and the enjoyment of the event.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
jimboalee said:
Your bike spec' sounds fine.

In the past I've done a few BP's and short Perms, on various MTB's, Nexus hub geared hybrid, and one on a Brompton. and of course on my current tourer. Run what you brung and all that. :smile:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mudguards; they went without saying LOL!

the tifosi and aravis are the other two bikes shortlisted. Are byerscycles on any of the cycle2work schemes? Did email them but got no response will call em Monday and find out unless someone in here knows.

Have to say though, the peeps at Surosa do make it awfully easy to buy bike from them! Loads of info, options, quick email turnaround and a clear website.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I don't know there's any reason to use bar end shifters. On audax rides you want everything to be as efficient as possible and changing gear as often and effortlessly as possible is pretty desirable.

Ergo levers are reliable enough as I've never had a failure in years. Cable life is no different to bar ends as the radius of the cable drum is about he same.

Any reasonably maintained bike is going to be reliable enough for a 600km or 1200km ride. The unknown is the rider! The more comfortable, the more gears, the more ergonomic and the less hassles (wet arse, etc) the greater the chance that your average rider will be successful.

To that end, a bike that's a perfect fit, Specialized phat bar tape, Ergo levers, Speedplay pedals, mudguards, 30/40/50 chainset (with the 30 swapped for a TA 26) should all be considered.

Enjoy!

P.H

Über Member
GregCollins said:
Have to say though, the peeps at Surosa do make it awfully easy to buy bike from them! Loads of info, options, quick email turnaround and a clear website.

I've heard they're good, though no experience.
Ask them if they can get an Arvis, it comes through a distributer who's happy to deal with any bike shop, though not the public. If you need it I can PM you the details.
The frame often gets rebadged and sold under different names, the Hewitt Chiltern is the best known.
http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/index.php?page=hewitt (scroll down)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's a huge range of machines on most audax events, from heavy tourers to near race bikes. Basic fitness is all you really need. Having a good comfortable steed does help to make it enjoyable. Having said that, my forty year old fixed does okay (though I'll admit I've never used it on any event longer than 1200k).

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tim Bennet. said:
I don't know there's any reason to use bar end shifters. On audax rides you want everything to be as efficient as possible and changing gear as often and effortlessly as possible is pretty desirable.

my experience of sti is not 100% +ve. first 100km ride I tried on my then new tourer the front shifter (Sora) jammed due to a dodgy ferule. use the stop screws to keep it in the middle ring for 40 miles.

since then I stacked the bike on loose gravel once and 'took out' the rear shifter against the kerb. needed a completely new sti unit which i found eyewatering expensive for entry level kit and immensely frustrating as my only option was to cut the cable and use the stop screws.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Crackle said:
52-42-30, will you make use of the 52, presumably you've worked out your ideal gears?

+1

I chucked using a 52 yonks ago. I hardly used it when I was a racer. Biggest chainring I own now is a 48. I prefer a 46-36-26 triple. Unfortunately Shimano/Campag won't do less than a 30. TA or Stronglight - much more versatile.

Best cassette I think is the 9 speed Shimano Ultegra - 14-25. All nicely close ratio. :laugh:

Now you'll see why I'm 26x25

Top Bottom