First Audax navigation help + tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im doing my first audax-110km and I got sent the GPx file for it and not sure what app to use to open it, I have a subscription to strava but it won't let me upload the GPx file to it- it just loads the map and shows an error message and won't let me save the route. I'm really worried about getting lost during my audax.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I use a Garmin 200 rather than my phone. Try GPX Viewer or similar on Google Play / iPhone equivalent.

You should also have some manual navigation instructions which can be used as an alternative. Which audax is it?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice easy event with clear directions there. In a longer event I'd always check via Google maps / streetview for junctions: it may be worth a go here.

I use an A6 clipboard as a route sheet holder but anything will do so if you can't get a gpx working follow the instructions. And enjoy the event.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Nice easy event with clear directions there. In a longer event I'd always check via Google maps / streetview for junctions: it may be worth a go here.

I use an A6 clipboard as a route sheet holder but anything will do so if you can't get a gpx working follow the instructions. And enjoy the event.
Just worried because I'll never quite know how many km I went and at what turn to turn at.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a bike computer. Just nervous about getting lost and messing up my first audax.
When I did my first 200 km audax I had an old-fashioned bike computer which used a magnet on a spoke to measure rpm. The computer calculated the speed and distance from rpm and the circumference of the wheel, which I had set.

On the ride I discovered that my calibration was slightly out so after a while I was having to add (say) 0.35 km, then 0.4 km etc. As I got tired I starting getting it wrong so seeing (say) 147.3 km TL on the route, I took a L after an indicated 147.6 km instead of an indicated 147.9 km. Once you are off course it is easy to get very confused.

After that fiasco I bought a Garmin Etrex GPS and have been using that for 14 years now. Once I worked out how to use that my navigational difficulties vanished. I have ridden well over 50,000 km now using the Etrex to show me the way to go. Best buy ever! (Modern devices are much more sophisticated but the old device is incredibly reliable and easy to use so I stick with it.)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
On the routesheet every turn has some identifying description, such as a signpost or a road name. T-junctions are easy. It's worth checking the route on a map in advance.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Connect your Garmin to your PC\Mac and then copy he GPX file into the Garmin\NewFiles directory. If you have a new'ish Garmin then you can add the file to Garmin Conenct on your Phone and then sync it. Via the PC\Mac is easier, but less convenient.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
For many years I have navigated Audaxes with nothing more than a printed route sheet attached to the handlebars on a takeaway container lid, held on with three zip ties (for the lid) and two elastic bands and a folded polypocket (for the route sheet).

I've used Streetview to check each and every junction to make sure I know where they are, and when I've got lost, just used the maps app on my phone together with the route sheet to work out where I went wrong and what I need to do to get back on route again. Remember that town/village names in bold are ones that you go through, otherwise just directions on signposts.

For the distances, as long as you know what the junction looks like, they are only a guide, i.e. if it says 0.4km, it is coming up pretty soon, 10km and I've got good while before I have to start worrying.

Tebb1t

On the routesheet every turn has some identifying description, such as a signpost or a road name. T-junctions are easy. It's worth checking the route on a map in advance.
That's what I always did, I find using a map really easy and found that I can memorise the route. Still make the odd error though.

Top Bottom