First Audax on a 'bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As previously advertised, did the 104k Anglesey Lanes audax yesterday in light winds and fierce sun. Definitely got a good start on this years cyclist's tan. Need to keep the lines sharp now. See The Rules.

Needless to say the only 'bent amongst about 120 riders - so attracted considerable interest all day - and I wasn't last amongst the expensive melt-in-the-rain carbon frames and wheelsets.

5hrs 40 moving, 18kph average, 3000ft of ascent, max 63kph (and I was on the brakes!). Happy with that. Lots of short sharp hills in the first half, and never ending hills in the last 15k.

Principal problem until the peloton finally dropped me was the bunches of df guys coming past on the hills and then me catching them on the descents, but I did not want to get back into the melee because they were cutting me up and I needed a bit more room than they realised. That meant I had to hold back a bit more than I could have. Problem solved itself after 20k and enjoyed a fairly solitary ride after that on mostly very quiet lanes - passing and being re-passed by groups stopping to fix punctures or take pics.

Last 15k was a bit of a killer and was not sorry to roll into the final control at 1635 after 6hrs 30 on the road.

Lots of questions about recumbents and some very favourable comments all day about balance, cost etc.

Very Welsh (language), very well organised and very sociable audax.

Maybe do the Bala 60 in the autumn.

Last edited:

Falco Frank

Veteran
Very well done, an inspiration for us 'bents I feel.

Sorry, this old timer needed to do some conversion....

64.6 Mile Anglesey Lanes audax yesterday ...

5hrs 40 moving, 11.2 mph average, 3000ft of ascent, max 39.1 mph (and I was on the brakes!). Happy with that. Lots of short sharp hills in the first half, and never ending hills in the last 9.3 miles.

Excellent effort!

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, you need to talk to DFers not used to recumbents.
If you explain about:-
Not wanting to put your pedal into their wheel if the chop in front of you.
Not wanting to hold them up on the climbs but if they let you belt past on the next down hill you'll be much further up the next hill before they catch you.
And they are reasonable about it you can have some good rides with DFs.

Last edited:
Well done and who said bents cant compete, keep us posted on future events you ride in ps a pic would have been nice to see.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The speed profile is a killer on a bent / DF mix. We roll way further up the hill, but once we start to lose momentum, there ain't much that'll bring it back. Coming back down, we're fast again. I've been riding of late with a blind stoker. His power band centres around a lower RPM than mine, and we quite often risk running into the back of the pack. Solution for me was playing cards in our front, and the ride leader's rear. That way, my stoker knows when I'm slowing down because we're gaining on the bike infront, rather than slowing down because I'm off my pace and have overcooked it.

Plus points is the Quetzal sounds like a motorbike when we come down something steep. There's none of that 'on your right!' malarkey required. :smile:

Top Bottom