First bicycle as an adult - Advice wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SheriffHD

Hello, first post to the forum so im looking for help.

Ive got myself on the cycle to work scheme now and im looking at what bike to chose from.
Im a heavy set guy and very unfit and have the pleasure of living in an area with a steep hill home.
but im torn between an Ebike or a mountain bike.

If I go ebike I get lower quality and a brand that has zero reviews about it or I can chose a normal bike which reviews seem to praise and able to get more accessories too.

SO wanting to get peoples advice/experience/insight as to what they feel would be a better choice

Links for the two bikes im looking at

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/bra...electric-mountain-bike-black-red-14ah-battery

https://www.evanscycles.com/kona-mahuna-2019-mountain-bike-EV354607

To be quite honest, I'd avoid a mountain bike if at all possible. The front suspension is just added weight, unless you really intend to thrash it around off-road. And if you don't, a smoother set of tyres will make life much easier on road surfaces. A light hybrid that can take, say 32mm tyres will be much less effort to pedal around than a mountain bike, and if you buy new, it may be possible to spec a really low gear cassette to help you up those hills. Research is the key, there's a whole lotta bikes out there!
And :welcome: to the forum!

OP
OP
S

SheriffHD

Thanks for your reply,
I think the main reason I opted for a mountain bike was just due to the wider tyre- more surface area to support a larger weight load. that's my theory any way plus I do intend to be cycling majority of my path to work via a little country park that is fairly nice little trail.

I will look into a Hybrid though and see what they can offer me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you live in a hilly area you're going to find things tough going with a MTB, it'll be heavy, and a cheap electric one won't be advisable if things go wrong technically speaking.
If you're overweight you need to tackle that first off, get onto a diet and loose some weight. The cycling will be tough initially but you'll get used to it and settle in.
I'd advise some sort of hybrid with something like 30/35c tyres It'll support your weight no probs and will handle trails. You can convert it very easily to electric if you wish later for about £3/400 with a crank or wheel kit. As above Evans do some good own brand Lithium models so maybe look there.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for your reply,
I think the main reason I opted for a mountain bike was just due to the wider tyre- more surface area to support a larger weight load. that's my theory any way plus I do intend to be cycling majority of my path to work via a little country park that is fairly nice little trail.

Agree with others, a decent lightweight rigid hybrid with fatter road tyres, a good number of spokes in the wheels and low gearing should be fine for your needs!

Ps: how heavy is heavy? Am 95kg and have no issues on lightweight road-bikes or my Brommie.

Hello, first post to the forum so im looking for help.

Ive got myself on the cycle to work scheme now and im looking at what bike to chose from.
Im a heavy set guy and very unfit and have the pleasure of living in an area with a steep hill home.

Welcome to the forum @SheriffHD. I'm another one with lots of local hills although thankfully we have trams to ride up some of them.

I'd echo the comments made by others for a Hybrid/touring bike. My main bike started life as an MTB back in the 90's but I very quickly changed the tyres and kept changing bits until it was a usable road bike. Others in the UK can supply more useful local information I'm sure.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Post a picture of your trail and we'll tell you if you need a mountain bike or whether a fat-tyred hybrid will do.

If it's a relatively well graded gravel track or something then a hybrid without suspension and with 32-38mm, semi-slick tyres would be perfect.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Post a picture of your trail and we'll tell you if you need a mountain bike or whether a fat-tyred hybrid will do.

If it's a relatively well graded gravel track or something then a hybrid without suspension and with 32-38mm, semi-slick tyres would be perfect.
I'm old enough to have done all my mountain biking on a rigid Kona (now retired from that lark!). That Lithium will cope with anything short of a gnarlfest, likely on the OE Contis which are 700x40 IIRC, but easily changed if necessary, and plenty of clearance to do so.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply,

As others have said a rigid hybrid would be best. Around 35 to 37mm Tyre. In a years time when you have converted all your excess body fat to kinetic energy you can swap them for more nimble 32mm. Refraining from buying an e bike and eating/drinking extra calories to fuel the ride will help achieve this.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As someone who bought a cheap E-bike two years ago, my advice would be - don't buy a cheap E-bike.
It's (just about) survived two years of a 16 mile commute, but it really is on the way out.
The E-bike in your link has got Tektro brakes (not wonderful), 7 speed Shimano gears (cheap, old-tech and pretty poor quality) and the suspension fork will be awful at that price - heavy, unresponsive and unserviceable once it wears.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
The E-bike in your link has got Tektro brakes (not wonderful), 7 speed Shimano gears (cheap, old-tech and pretty poor quality)

I missed this. 7 speed gearing probably means the hub will be the older freewheel style instead of the newer freehub & cassette style. If you are overweight DO NOT get a bike with the older style freewheels as the bearing arrangement induces weakness. The first bike I got as an adult had a freewheel hub and I snapped two axles in half before I replaced the wheel at a relatively high cost (I was around 18 or 19 stone).

General wheel quality may be an issue too actually. In a thousand miles or so I broke a bunch of spokes too on that cheap wheel; another good reason to get a quality bicycle instead of a cheap e-bike.

I'm not anti e-bike, but personally I'd want to be spending in the region of two grand plus for it to be worth having over a (cheaper) normal bicycle - too spendy for me!

rivers

How far can I go?
Thanks for your reply,

Hybrid will be fine. I regularly take my CX bike onto mountain bike trails. 35mm tyres, rigid carbon fork, no suspension besides the tyres at low pressure.

Top Bottom