First bike advice needed :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venkman83

Hi folks,

I haven't ridden a bike in years but in a effort to get fitter i have decided to get a bike through my works cycle to work scheme. I am a little unsure as to the type of bike to get, i live about 17 miles from work and would like to work up to doing this commute eventually, although it wont happen for a while as i need build up my fitness.
I could cycle to work just by road but would probably avoid this as some of them are quite busy and a little dangerous, there are canal paths i can hop on and off though. I would also like to use the bike for leisure and ride gravel paths and maybe some easy trials and tracks.

I have been thinking of getting either a hardtail 29er (which might be a chore on the commute) or a cyclocross (are these ok for things other than flat road surfaces?)

Any hints or tips would be greatly apprecited

Thanks in advance for reading and any advice given :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Personally, I wouldn't go for a mountain bike for commuting, unless you live at the other end of a good trail.

I would go for a bike more like a specialized AWOL or Diverge. They have a lot in common with road bikes, but can also handle a bit of the rough too. I have an AWOL and love its usability, nearly as fast as my roadbike, but waaay better down a tow path! They can take guards and racks.

AWOL.... http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/road-bikes/overview/awol/16awol

Diverge... http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/road-bikes/overview/diverge/16diverge

DRM

Guru
sounds like a cyclocross bike could be just the ticket,i think an mtb would be unsuitable to commute on, have a look on youtube at some cx races, that will give you an idea of what they will withstand, consider being able to fit mudguards for winter too, it will make things a bit more tolerable in wet weather, visit some shops and try some bikes out to see how you feel when sat on them, enjoy the search.

CX bikes are really good all-rounders. Fit 25mm tyres for summer speed and 28-32mm commuter tyres for winters and trail riding. Practical versions come with rack and mudguard eyelets and disk brakes on rear chainstay (avoid seatstay mounts).
29er are too cumbersome for a long, fast commute.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Cx bikes might float your boat but they do seem to come in 2 flavours.

One is a commuter friendly type with rack and bottle mounts, and the other is a cx race bike that generally wont have the mounts.

Also, cx bike can have disc brakes or cantis. Make sure you are happy with the prrformance of what you are getting.

Jimidh

Veteran
Love my 29er but wouldn't dream of commuting on it - if you don't fancy a proper road bike then a cx is a great compromise.

Karlt

Agree. The thought of a 17 mile each way on a MTB - with a day's work in between... You're going to be looking at an hour even if it's relatively flat on a full road bike; more on anything else. Personally I'd save canal tow-paths and whatnot for leisure riding; you're dodging dog-walkers and people coming the other way on the narrowest bits under bridges (always, sod's law) when you could be cruising at 20mph on the road.

as @Karlt says avoid off road routes unless it cuts time down, once you know your route it becomes easier on the road, not sure about the 20mph bit though (you need to be pretty fit to do that), I have a road bike that has to cope with panniers ect, getting the gearing right for your route is more important, cx's I believe have a wide range, touring bikes are built for everything a road can through at them, including wide ranging gears and luggage.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79788/Saracen_Tenet_3_2015_Bike_RN952352
A decent spec with disc brakes reduced from £950 to £399. Most sizes available. image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    200.6 KB · Views: 35

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A cyclocross able to take a rack and mudguards does sound good, but most have compact double rings on the front which means they lack lower gear range.

Could be important to you as a new cyclist, particularly if the commute has hills.

Touring bikes are old-fashioned and not marketed as heavily as CX.

But they have what you need - three rings at the front for a wide gear range, and mudguards and a rack factory fitted.

Get one on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and it will tackle canal paths and even light off-road trails.

si_c

Guru
An alternative option would be to get a hybrid rather than cyclocross type bike. I'm thinking that the riding position might be more comfortable for someone who hasn't ridden in a while and is also wanting to do light trails / canal towpaths etc.

A good hybrid will also have mountings for panniers and mudguards also. It really would be worth getting to a bike shop and trying a few bikes out for comfort. I really wouldn't recommend getting a first-for-a-while bike without seeing how you get on with it.

Top Bottom