First bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying Cloud

Hello mates, I’m a beginner and going to buy my first bike, also thinking about carrera subway or parva, would you plz give me some advice about which one is better, or maybe suggest some else good bike with similar price, thx

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My work college bought a Planet X Fat Baz and likes it a lot. Looks great value at £399 and it’s in stock;
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXFBHB/planet-x-fat-baz-hybrid-city-bike

Hello mates, I’m a beginner and going to buy my first bike, also thinking about carrera subway or parva, would you plz give me some advice about which one is better, or maybe suggest some else good bike with similar price, thx
Hi, they will both get you going, but, maybe get something better secondhand from Trek, Specialized, Marin etc? The Subway is 14.5kg ... Halfords handyness rarely translates into enjoyable cycling. Good luck though, if you are serious about getting into it spend a bit more ^_^

What kind of riding do you think you will do.
Budget for accessories and if you haggle, do it for extras and not cash reduction:
Lock
Lights
Mudguards ( full length bolt on.)
Rear luggage rack
Helmet
Mitts/gloves.
Pump, repair kit, spare inner tube.

mustang1

Guru
I have a Parva for casual riding. For me it's great on and light off road and I take it to places which can get sketchy even on an MTB. I use it as my ride-with-family-and-friends bike, a shopping bike, a lock it anywhere bike, a bike where I'm happy to lower the seatpost and just wear jeans while riding (the jeans always get bunched up for me though so I usually wear bike shorts too).

I got mine at at at time when it was cheaper. The bike rack ingot with it was rubbish and fell off after a while.

I've bought several bikes for Halfords and only one has had a problem with the headset (they over tightened it) but easily fixed. I got to know a few of the bike mechanics there to gauge what they're like before buying. The problematic bike was because someone else who I did not know prepared it.

I've upgraded the tyres but otherwise it just sits outside in all weather. When it squeeks, I squirt oil in its general direction. It's got a slight sound coming from somewhere and has 3000km on it so far.

It's a bit heavy for my tastes but for the price, I'm really happy with it. I also likethat mine has rim brakes.

Good luck in your choice.

EDIT: typo.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Whatever bike you get, as long as you're happy with it, be ready to discover a whole new world out there - ! :thumbsup:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Nothing wrong with Carrera, I've found them to be really well built, solid bikes, and usually pretty well equipped as well. Both those choices will do you fine and they'll be perfectly nice to ride. If I've got any minor criticism of the Carreras I've worked on, I'd just say the frame welding can be a bit on the heavy / agricultural side (if that's something that remotely bothers you, but at least it makes for a solid, long lasting frame) and they are a little bit on the heavy side compared with say, a Trek, Giant, or a Specialized equivalent... but then there's a huge price difference, so at the 300 quid price point you really can't grumble.

That Planet X bike looks superb value, and it's a bit less ubiquitous, I think I'd be tempted by that if it's in stock. But no, nothing wrong with Carreras.
Are they still made by Merida I wonder?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom