First Bike Help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amy

Heyhey!

So I'm looking at buying my very first road bike after my boyfriend who is a cycling coach has gotten me addicted to it! However, I'm only 4.11" (yes I'm tiny!) and I am having real trouble to find a decent bike that'll fit me.

I want to be able to use my bike to go on long rides with my boyfriend (since our house is right on the cycle path leading round north wales) and to go on rides with the road club in uni that I plan to join, as well as to keep fit.

My budget would be £575 MAX. (I'm only a student and this is really pushing my budget!) At the moment after weeks of searching I have literally only found one bike, the Norco Valence A4 Forma 2013 Womens Road Bike for £470 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/valence-a4-forma-2013-womens-road-bike-ec041246

What do you guys think of this bike? Any advise or can you suggest a bike that'd actually fit me? Thank youu!

Cyclist33

I like Norcos. No idea if this bike would fit you or be right for you tho!

No shame in going fast on a flat handlebar and these seem well-regarded: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/vita-elite-2012-womens-hybrid-bike-ec030147#features.

You could do with going for a test ride or at least sit on a few different bikes in the shops.

Cheers

Stu

sabian92

Über Member
You could go and visit shops to sit on a few (drop bar and flats). I know it's a pain but you will find one, it's just a case of looking.

I'm not trying to be patronising but have a look at Islabikes. They are designed for kids up to teenagers and they're solid bikes. They might fit you better (I have an auntie who's 4'9 and still wears kids clothes at 40!) and they're well built - not shoddy at all.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath700lrg.html This looks like it might be better fitting in a small. There's a sizing chart on there for you to look at, and they're under your budget.

Check out the Specialized Dolce range. They are WSD bikes and come in appropriate sizes.

Mrs S had a Dolce Elite a while ago, and even the 105 shifters were WSD as well :thumbsup:

I don't how the prices are, but if there is one to fit your budget there will be one to fit you.

Thomk

Guru
Wait a month or two. By then there will be loads of bikes online with huge discounts and especially great big ones and tiny ones.

Wait a month or two. By then there will be loads of bikes online with huge discounts and especially great big ones and tiny ones.
Good luck with that. I'm at the opposite end of the scale being 6' 5", but I've yet to successfully find a 'cheap' bike anywhere, ever!

IME the extreme sizes tend to be a) not produced in the same numbers, and b) resist price reductions much more.

Plus, used bikes in my size tend to hold their value far more than 'normal' sizes too :sad:

Thomk

Guru
Good luck with that. I'm at the opposite end of the scale being 6' 5", but I've yet to successfully find a 'cheap' bike anywhere, ever!

IME the extreme sizes tend to be a) not produced in the same numbers, and b) resist price reductions much more.

Plus, used bikes in my size tend to hold their value far more than 'normal' sizes too :sad:
Mmm. I do remember seeing loads of tiny cheap ones last autumn. Perhaps not the enormous ones though....
e.g. here is a Defy 2010 xs still on sale although probably still too big for the OP as it's a mans xs
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=85758

OP
OP
A

Amy

Thanks for all the advice! I have been told about islabikes before by my boyfriend because he coaches using them, but was put off because they are for kids, but I shall take a proper look :smile: The specialized bikes are too expensive and the defy was too big. Perhaps the Norco is the bestest and cheapest shot for now, booked a test ride on it as soon as it comes into stock, so I'll see how that turns out :biggrin: Thank youu!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks for all the advice! I have been told about islabikes before by my boyfriend because he coaches using them, but was put off because they are for kids, but I shall take a proper look :smile: The specialized bikes are too expensive and the defy was too big. Perhaps the Norco is the bestest and cheapest shot for now, booked a test ride on it as soon as it comes into stock, so I'll see how that turns out :biggrin: Thank youu!

The Decathlon Triban 3 is a great roadbike for a silly £300 and they come in very small sizes. My 12 y/o is waay shorther than you and rides one with 650c wheels and it's just perfect. Compared to the Norco you get a carbon fork and a triple chainset for £150 less.
Very well reviewed too. Decathlon service also good. You should go and try one before parting with your cash.

Giant's will definitely be too big. I'm 5'6" and on a small Avail. Thus the XS will not be small enough for someone under 5'.

I'd go with the Triban 3. Fine bike, and you can put the £150 in the bank towards the custom frame you'll be having made in a few years.

Top Bottom