First Carbon Bike ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny B

Now in the mind-set for an upgrade to my 2015 Defy 1 Aluminium with 105 group set. Would I be better going for a carbon better frame and stay with 105 or go up to Ultegra group set and have a lesser quality carbon frame?

Also Is it worth pushing the boat out completely and haven Ultegra di2?

Just so you know I ride for pleasure rides between 25 to 50 miles usually once or twice a week ( not so much this summer) and have done a few sportive's thrown in.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well they do say that a good alu bike is better than a cheap carbon bike.

I have got a Koga Solicio Carbon Di2 Ultegra and it is brilliant but not cheap.

Jannie has a Cannondale alu CAAD12, Shimano 105. Cheaper but brilliant.

I doubt if that helps. But there you go.

mynydd

Veteran
I was in mind to do this recently, though I'd be using the c2w scheme so lower end carbon was the only option.

I opted to upgrade my wheels instead

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

This is such a dilemma !!!! Was thinking of having the Defy 1 as winter bike and a nice Carbon for the summer rides. But wheel upgrade is always an option.
Ianrauk. Yes really love my Giant bike and the M/L frame size is the perfect fit, thinking to move up the range to carbon. Although I will try other manufacturers this time as I now have more experience on road bikes and will be able to appreciate the differences.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you ridden some carbon bikes to actually see if any great difference? That should be the first step

The great thing about getting a carbon Defy (apart from them being brilliant) is that the sizing is identical to the aluminium one. So no concerns on that front.

If you're prepared to spend >£1500 then just go out and buy one now to save yourself further trouble deciding!!

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-advanced-1-white.html?gclid=CMewzrCJkc4CFYidGwodui0AqA

BB

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Now in the mind-set for an upgrade to my 2015 Defy 1 Aluminium with 105 group set. Would I be better going for a carbon better frame and stay with 105 or go up to Ultegra group set and have a lesser quality carbon frame?

Also Is it worth pushing the boat out completely and haven Ultegra di2?

Just so you know I ride for pleasure rides between 25 to 50 miles usually once or twice a week ( not so much this summer) and have done a few sportive's thrown in.
have to agree with whats been said here so far, i can comment on the DI2 though, as the discounted cervelo R3 i just picked up has it, it is rather nice, but if the bike had come with mechanical ultegra i would have been happy enough, the other road bike has ultegra and properly setup the difference in shifting doesn't justify the price difference for di2 IMO, the sound it makes when shifting on the big ring is awsome though

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
The great thing about getting a carbon Defy (apart from them being brilliant) is that the sizing is identical to the aluminium one. So no concerns on that front.

If you're prepared to spend >£1500 then just go out and buy one now to save yourself further trouble deciding!!

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-advanced-1-white.html?gclid=CMewzrCJkc4CFYidGwodui0AqA

BB

I'd go with that. If the frame geometry fits, just upgrade to a carbon version. 11-speed 105 is good, but depends of your budget if you want to go higher, or perhaps invest in a set of lighter wheels.

D

Deleted member 22722

It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. I started on an aluminium Defy 1 (and have still got it) and I've had a few higher end carbon frames since.

To be honest, my Defy 1 is as light, comfy and as quick as all my other frames (with my Propel being the possible exception). If you were thinking of spending less that say £1500 I would invest that money on maybe a new 11 speed groupset and decent set of wheels.

If you were looking to spend more then I'd be looking for a carbon bike with Di2 and be using the Defy as my winter bike.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
i would always invest the most money in the frame, it is far easier to upgrade components if required as they wear out. It is harder to upgrade a frame. However, I doubt you will get much out of having an identical bike other than the frame material, I would be looking at something totally different rather than just another Defy.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
i would always invest the most money in the frame, it is far easier to upgrade components if required as they wear out. It is harder to upgrade a frame. However, I doubt you will get much out of having an identical bike other than the frame material, I would be looking at something totally different rather than just another Defy.

I would agree with this, a carbon frame will not make you significantly faster, it may make you marginally faster or marginally less fatigued though. You'll see more of a difference on a carbon race geometry bike though.

I'm toying with the idea of a carbon bike too, £1500-2000 would be the budget. I don't want a carbon version of my current bike.

OP
OP
Danny B

Danny B

I am being convinced on not buying a new bike and going for a wheel upgrade, any suggestions as what wheels (price up to £500) LBS has Giant P-SL0 on offer at the moment for £300.

Top Bottom