First Carbon Bike ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I am being convinced on not buying a new bike and going for a wheel upgrade, any suggestions as what wheels (price up to £500) LBS has Giant P-SL0 on offer at the moment for £300.

As an alternative suggestion, keep your current bike, buy a second completely different bike like a Cyclocross or something? Use one as your "good" bike and make the other one your bad weather/winter bike?

Just a thought, one of many I've had too!!

mynydd

Veteran
I've just ordered some mavic ksyrium elites 450 at Evans cycles, get good reviews.,though obviously I've not tried them out yet

So there i was in 2010 getting an £850 Cube Peloton through CTW. Loved the bike, still got it as a matter of fact, but wanted to upgrade after a year or so to carbon fibre. Got a great deal on a light Ridley and proceeded to go no faster than I did on the Cube. Cut to 2015 and I've bought my retirement bike, a Cervelo R3 and guess what I go no faster than I did on the Cube. So with a stable of three which do I most enjoy riding. In truth, all three. The Ridley is a fine winter bike in good nick too. The Cube has seen better days, but is fine as a turbo bike and would still be an adequate bike to commute on. The biggest difference I noticed between the alloy and carbon frames of my first two bikes was in the way they absorbed irregularities in the road. Where I first noticed this was coming out of the village of Finchampstead. Wokingham Borough Council sought fit to put a 5m pinkish corrugated surface on entry/exit from the village which when crossed on the Cube almost threw me off, but was relatively unnoticeable on the carbon Ridley by comparison.

bondirob

I have a defy 3 and I've recently bought a Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 (they rrp at £1599 although in the sales they're about £1300) it's a lovely bike and I love it.
I also still love the defy I'm not noticeably faster on the carbon and if I'm nit picking it might be a bit comfier with the road buzz but not much.
I got the synapse because I had the money available and I wanted one but I still get out on the defy as well

Cyclone1

I Switched to a carbon framed bike about 3 years ago and the difference was very noticeable.

The main difference was the weight reduction at the same price point. Ride comfort was actually similar albeit "smoother" on the carbon framed bike.

There are some cracking lightweight non carbon frames available now, so this should also be an option to consider.

An upgrade of wheels (again lighter) made another positive step change. The bike / me able to accelerate easier and also "easier" up hills.

All of the above is marginal albeit a positive step change.

I don't need to lose body weight so losing it off the bike helps.

If your heart is set on a carbon framed bike then go for it.

Jules.

Top Bottom