First century advice..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

Chescadence

400hp- Yea, It's the not-fitness side that's the main worry; I'm sure I have the legs, it's just the other things that are unknowns. Nutrition over that distance, overall stress of being in the saddle that long and conditions.

I've ridden the roads a fair amount; in fact, I've ridden the exact route but in halves so I've got a good idea where the tough bits are, where catches the prevailing wind and where the rest stops/shops/water refills etc are.

Very good point regarding the wind; I'll need to get that sorted and make a conscious effort to keep enough in the tank for the bits where I'll have the wind in my face/on my side.

Thanks,
C

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

This. I'd say taking a week off before hand could be counter productive. If your body is already atuned to doing plenty of milage, its ready to roll; theres no reason to give it the idea of having time off!

I'd personally suggest a smaller warm up ride of 30-50 (not too strenuous) a few days before if you can fit it in, maybe a day or so off, than hit that century.

Yea, I was thinking exactly the same; taking a week off seems the obvious thing to do- it should, in theory work. However I'm not entirely sure it would; I think, like you say, doing a smaller ride a couple of days before just to keep the legs in order, keep them used to putting miles in might better prepare them for the 100.

Probably something around the 35 mile mark on the Thursday and hit the 100 on the Saturday/Sunday may work well?

C

400bhp

Guru
This. I'd say taking a week off before hand could be counter productive. If your body is already atuned to doing plenty of milage, its ready to roll; theres no reason to give it the idea of having time off!

I'd personally suggest a smaller warm up ride of 30-50 (not too strenuous) a few days before if you can fit it in, maybe a day or so off, than hit that century.

+1

Hip Priest

Veteran
Looking at your current mileage, I think you'll be fine. Just be disciplined food-wise. Sometimes you get into an enjoyable rhythm, and the act of sitting up and taking on food seems like a pain in the arse. But you'll need that energy for the end.

...I've ridden the roads a fair amount; in fact, I've ridden the exact route but in halves so I've got a good idea where the tough bits are, where catches the prevailing wind and where the rest stops/shops/water refills etc are.
Thanks,
C

glad you mentioned that one even though it is easier for men to "water a tree". Something I need to plan better for my rides :whistle:

Do you have a ride computer with an alarm? I ask because I have found it very useful to have an alarm go off every 1/2 hour of ride time which reminds me to drink something. I can loose track of time very easily otherwise, though it will be a long time yet before I am able to make an imperial century.

best of luck & fingers crossed on the weather for you.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Hi Satnavsaysstraighton,

Unfortunately my computer doesn't have an alarm, no; I can see your point though, that would be really useful- It's definitely easy to settle into a rhythm and forget about eating/drinking!

Thanks for the good luck wishes; I'm hoping for good weather too...and low winds :eek:

C

Ningishzidda

Thanks Risex 4,

Current distances are as above, between 40-50 in one stint every week (sometimes 40, sometimes 50, sometimes a bit more) so it's probably balances itself out at around 47miles or something averagely and then two 30mile rides on weekends. Like I said, I've done a few longer rides too..

Thanks for the pacing tips, really useful to break the route down- I have done the ride in two sections before so I'm pretty familiar with the terrain/land marks and know where the hills are etc.

C
How long does it take you to ride the 40 miles 'in one stint'?

Hi Satnavsaysstraighton,

Unfortunately my computer doesn't have an alarm, no; I can see your point though, that would be really useful- It's definitely easy to settle into a rhythm and forget about eating/drinking!

Thanks for the good luck wishes; I'm hoping for good weather too...and low winds :eek:

C

Most mobile phones would do the same - slightly more annoying because they need cancelling & reprogramming unlike the garmin edge 200 I have which just sounds off for 10 seconds and then resets for the next 30 mins. I know I could do something similar with my iPhone.

perplexed

Guru
Some good advice in the thread.

But above all, remember to put a pair of pants a size larger than normal to one side to change into afterwards to accomodate your extra manliness after the event! ^_^

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Thanks guys!

Always good to hear from more experienced riders; I felt ready, but tended to doubt myself.

I'm really looking forward to it; hopefully if I remember the pace and nutrition and be sensible it will be in the bag!

C

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Are you still on for this ?

I'm planning my first century of the year on the same day. Lets hope for a dry day !
Keep us posted on your trip.

Top Bottom