First clipless moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rice crispy

So I am new to all this road riding and have just got a new bike and just went for the clipless pedal option. So I'm on my way to uni this evening for a lecture and I pull up to some lights and just roll to a stop and without thinking I just forgot to unclip my foot. Luckily I just sort of floated down with out much impact.

The only problem is I was in the middle of a traffic jam so all of this was mighty embarrassing I just grabbed the bike and legged around the nearest corner. I must say though there was one motorist that was very concerned and very nicely ask if I was ok or if I needed any help.

yenrod

When you 1st get cleated pedals think of them all the time otherwise you fall over!!!

domtyler

Über Member
Don't worry mate, we've all been there once. In a few months it will have become as automatic as breathing.

My first clipless moment was in a traffic jam too. I overtook a line of cars and entered the ASL. However I stopped in a position where I couldn't see the lights well, bent back right to see them, forgetting my right foot was clipped in, cue the slow motion fall :rolleyes:

yenrod

I had a chronic fall-over moment when i was on the old Time pedals, a screw came out of the front cleat and boy could I NOT get it out, ended up having to take the overshoe off & the shoe whilst their was a big queue of cars and a collection of people asking if I was ok...whilst lying on my side ! ! !

VERY EMBARRASSING !

doyler78

My first one was in a long cue of traffic at traffic lights in the middle lane during rush hour. I leaned the wrong way ie in the direction of the foot that was clipped in. I hit the deck managing to pull the chain off on the way down - don't ask me how but I managed it. So stuck in the middle lane -so couldn't just slope of. Had to fight with the chain to get it back and all before the traffic lights changed. I looked round and everyone just seemed to be sitting there open mouthed. No one seemed to be laughing. I bet they were thinking how on earth do you fall off a bike.

I went down the road a bit and called into the bike shop that I normally use to see if they had anything to get all the gunk off my hands. They gave me some white roll and helpfully pointed out that they would recommend wearing some gloves when working with chain. I must admit this did make me laugh as I was just thinking yeah pulling the rubber gloves out of my back pocket was my number one priority at that moment.

Put me off for a full year. Started using them a month ago and so far no probs.

Tynan

Veteran
never fallen although I have had some moments, mine will release if you yank them hard enough in the moment of panic

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As long as enough people witnessed your first clipless moment, you should never have another...

Iceniner

I went clipless a month ago. Must admit i had a couple of close moves, but ive just kept the tension intentionally low so i can yank my foot out.

How many people here use the multi-release cleats? I got them chucked in with my shoes for a reduced price and have been using them over the single release as i was worried about falling over. Anyone used both??

Must admit though i feel more confident on clipless than toe clips, glad i made the change early.

Joe

Über Member
I had a "toeclip moment" today, the shame of it.:blush: I've been riding clipless for ages with no problems, but since I don't have any shoes to go with the clipless pedals on my new bike I thought I'd put some old toeclips on. Slowing down at some traffic lights I twist foot sideways to unclip (clipless style) and foot doesn't budge. Down I go! Many cars and pedestrians around of course:blush:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My first clipless moment was not long ago. I thought a bus was going to go and didnt unclip because i thought i was confident. I stopped tried to unclip and my over shoe was in the way and cue the slow motion fall over. I got up quick, put my computer back on the bike checked the bike then shot off.
Did it outside a cafe aswell on a club ride. I unclipped my left foot, went to put it down but started going over to the left. That was a more graceful one. I gave myself a clap for that one.:blush:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Heh-heh...

I can't remember my first moment (of which I'm sure ther were several), but I introduced a friend to cycling about 2 years ago: coming up to one of Sheffield's busiest roundabouts, he came to a stop, forgot/failed to unclip, and did the slow topple routine (although he did score points for remembering to keep the bike from getting scratched!).
The best bit was the reaction from the lady in the car next to him, who'd not noticed him fall over - the look of surprise on her face when he (picked himself up and) suddenly appeared right next to her was priceless!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even experienced cyclists do it - not good when on a club run and all your mates are there to take the hiss and roll about laughing....fortunately it wasn't me..... as was one of said offending laughing persons :ohmy:

Top Bottom