First Clipless outing.....tough !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well i recieved my Shimano 530 pedals the other day & i got my Spesh Tahoe's 2 days ago, i got everything fixed up yesterday & had a little practice clipping/unclipping etc which was fine...i think.

Anyway had my first opportunity to give them a go this morning, i did a 22 mile loop including a few hills etc to give them a good testing....& to be honest i found them very different to my trainers & flat pedals.

I found that i seemed to be using the muscles just above my kness (if you know what i mean) alot more compared to my bigger muscles a bit further up my thighs & this caused me to suffer from lactic build up alot sooner than i'm used to & i had to keep straightening my legs out to relieve this.

I know that i'm probably used to positioning my feet (incorrectly) on the pedals more in the middle of the foot as oppose to where they seem to be now which is alot closer to the ball of the foot, i seemed to struggle getting my normal power down & by the end of the ride my toes on my right foot had pins & needles.

Is this a normal experience for the first few times of going clipless ?

PS.......on a positive note, i did'nt fall off (this time) :tongue:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
could be you need to move the saddle up slightly to accomodate the raised height of the cleats? ive been moving my saddle around to remove knee pain but the front of my legs just above my knee suffer from lactic build up at the moment! will adjust slightly before my return home trip

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I found the same thing when I first made the switch, to quote a cliché 'I discovered muscles I didn't know I had, and they all hurt'. But I soon got used to it, I just have to remember not to 'pull' on the upstroke too much or my knees hurt like they're being pulled apart!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Sounds like the saddles too low. If you're using the "heel on pedal and full stretch" method to find the saddle height, remember to allow for the height difference of the cleat arrangement.

I'd just increase the saddle height 5mil or so and see if it's any easier.

Nearly there

Veteran
Sounds like the saddles too low. If you're using the "heel on pedal and full stretch" method to find the saddle height, remember to allow for the height difference of the cleat arrangement.

I'd just increase the saddle height 5mil or so and see if it's any easier.
This

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Cheers, i've just raised my seat height a little bit so i'll see if that makes any difference...i'm planning on riding to work & back tomorrow (30 mile round trip) so that should be enough to gauge any difference. I've also had a look at my shoes & moved the cleats as far as they will go towards the arch of my foot....i suppose its just trial & error to get the most comfortable for me.

RWright

Guru
I have my cleets back as far as they will go as well. I noticed on flat pedals the pedal center was near the center of my arch as well. I may even get brave and try modifying my shoes to a midfoot cleet position someday.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

DaveyM

Über Member
My pedals are due to arrive any time now...I got sent the shoes but they said the pedals would follow and may take up to 14 days which will run out on Wednesday so not long to wait hopefully.

Never thought about adjusting the fit but that does make sense.

Wobbly Bob I also ride a Specialized Tricross and I'm only a couple of miles from you so hope to see you out and about :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

I have my cleets back as far as they will go as well. I noticed on flat pedals the pedal center was near the center of my arch as well. I may even get brave and try modifying my shoes to a midfoot cleet position someday.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

Thats a brilliant link, thanks....after reading (most of it) i definitely think the midfoot set up would suit me much better as i have had problems with my calf's in the past when running, which basically has forced me to give it up & start cycling....& i definitely noticed a slight pain in my calf today which quite alarmed me actually as i've felt no problems at all with my calf's while wearing trainers.
I'll see how i get on tomorrow with the cleats moved as far back as possible but i have a feeling that i need them further back still to avoid calf problems !!
Did'nt even know they were available with midfoot cleat positioning ??....would it even be possible to modify the position to midfoot ??

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

My pedals are due to arrive any time now...I got sent the shoes but they said the pedals would follow and may take up to 14 days which will run out on Wednesday so not long to wait hopefully.

Never thought about adjusting the fit but that does make sense.

Wobbly Bob I also ride a Specialized Tricross and I'm only a couple of miles from you so hope to see you out and about :thumbsup:

Yeah Davey i'll keep an eye out for a tricross whizzing by me then ha ha....i'm on a Crosstrail by the way with front suspension (currently locked out)

RWright

Guru
Thats a brilliant link, thanks....after reading (most of it) i definitely think the midfoot set up would suit me much better as i have had problems with my calf's in the past when running, which basically has forced me to give it up & start cycling....& i definitely noticed a slight pain in my calf today which quite alarmed me actually as i've felt no problems at all with my calf's while wearing trainers.
I'll see how i get on tomorrow with the cleats moved as far back as possible but i have a feeling that i need them further back still to avoid calf problems !!
Did'nt even know they were available with midfoot cleat positioning ??....would it even be possible to modify the position to midfoot ??

I think there are only a few shoe makers ( not even sure I would call them manufacturers) who make the mid foot type, and I think they are sort of a specialty item (low production high cost businees model :rolleyes:). I have read of people getting a drill and making their own, with success. I have a link that talks about it and has links to some instructions.
http://thehippy.net/nucleus/?itemid=1646
I have a bad knee and was worried about clipless bothering it and started checking out the midfoot info. I think I will like it better if I get the nerve to start drilling my not so old shoes.

Top Bottom