FIRST clipless ride.................DOH!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mille

Giant Dash 1 --check
Diadora Chili SPD shoes --check
Funny half pedal clip on things (just in case) --check

So off I set, first ride (commute to work, only 9 miles but maybe I was being a little optimistic :laugh:)

I'm fine for ages, then I am down a lane and the surface is a little rough so the water bottle holder is rattling against the frame and that displeases me so I decide to stop and check an allen bolt hasn't wriggled free,

Big mistake, whilst I'm riding and thinking, the clipless thing isn't an issue.

Factor in stopping for another reason and my mind is distracted (easily done) and over I go, just getting my left foot out it time to bash it against the floor as I land :thumbsup:

At least the nettles broke my fall :smile:

aJohnson

Ouch, you'll get used to it after a while. My first clipless fall when I had to stop going uphill due to a traffic light, I forgot to unclip and by the time I did I was already on the floor. After that I've had no clipless fall apart from the one last week due to new pedals and I wasn't used to the float.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I went clipless a year or two ago on one bike with the others still remaining clipped. Gradually I've upgraded all bikes to clipless. I've never actually had a fall but I've had a few moments. But I'm so used to them now and I wouldn't go back to toe clips. They are just so postive and easy to do the up-pull thing on a hill if needed.

Anyway glad you had a soft landing......

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Even experienced cyclists fall off Mille - something unexpected happens and wa-hey!

Try not to do it in the middle of town with hundreds of people around:blush:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
accountantpete said:
Even experienced cyclists fall off Mille - something unexpected happens and wa-hey!

Try not to do it in the middle of town with hundreds of people around:blush:

One of our chaps managed to fall off whist we were all sitting astride but stationary. Oh how we laughed - and took photos :biggrin: :sad:

Shaun

Founder
I got caught out by an ambulance racing up through the traffic.

I'm used to unclipping my left foot when coming to a stop, but because the ambulance was pushing its way through a two lane road in the centre of town and I was heading for the right-hand lane to turn right, I had to stop on the right.

I leaned right, but unclipped my left foot. Down I went - much to the amusement of 30 or so drivers and their passengers ... :biggrin:

Haven't really had one in a while now though - it just seems to become second nature after a while.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

I have only had two clipless moments (thats it I'll be jinxed now) and both times it was to the right so no soft verge to land on:sad:.

OP
OP
M

Mille

Headgardener said:
I have only had two clipless moments (thats it I'll be jinxed now) and both times it was to the right so no soft verge to land on:sad:.

Ah I always put my left foot down. Bit of a hangover from riding a motorbike I think and holding the rear brake on.

Maybe I'll always be lucky enough to find something soft :smile:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Oh those clipless moments. :biggrin:

My recent one was in traffic and next to a bus stop. I came over Waterloo bridge and was taking up position behind traffic, I glanced to my left to ensure no cyclist was coming up the inside, misjudged the road camber and lost my balance.

To top it all, I got it on video. :smile:

EDIT : linked to YouTube now I've managed to upload (codecs a bit naff)

I got caught because the shoes wern't compatible with the clips and fell off at a bus stop with a few astonished people looking on.

In the middle of Leyton High Road during match day was one of my best.

Top Bottom