First Clipless Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I felt a bit ill this morning, but couldn't resist a little 10 mile loop to try out my pedals and shoes. Stopped after 2 miles to move the cleats back a touch, then again after 4 miles to change the angle slightly.

That seemed to do the trick, and after that it was an absolute joy. Didn't have any clipless moments, but did have a little wobble when moving off from lights in a big gear (forgot to change down - duh).

So, all in all, I'm pleased to have made the switch, and wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Welcome to the dark side young Padawan :ninja::thanks:

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I felt a bit ill this morning, but couldn't resist a little 10 mile loop to try out my pedals and shoes. Stopped after 2 miles to move the cleats back a touch, then again after 4 miles to change the angle slightly.

That seemed to do the trick, and after that it was an absolute joy. Didn't have any clipless moments, but did have a little wobble when moving off from lights in a big gear (forgot to change down - duh).

So, all in all, I'm pleased to have made the switch, and wondering why I didn't do it sooner.
Do let us know about your first fall when it happens, and may you fall gently! My first one was the classic 'stop and keel over with feet still attached to pedals'. If I'd stopped 2 feet further on I'd have landed on a small dog out for a walk with its owners

thefollen

Veteran
Had my first clipless commute in London this morn. Also stayed upright and managed to dis/engage without incident! Had a topple when testing in the lounge last night... timbeeeeeeer but glad I got that out of my system in private.

They feel pretty good, my seat needs to go slightly higher for maximum purchase (perhaps I didn't return it to its proper height after the home testing phase) and the legs were a little tangy from various active pursuits.

Confident I'll be faster than toeclips once the setup is tweaked and leg muscles are used to the upstroke!

Edwards80

Über Member
Had my first clipless rides this week. A few slow ones with the Mrs on the weekend and my commutes during the week. Loving it so far! I'm not sure it's made me any quicker/more efficient but being attached just feels far better for me, safer too.

My only "clipless moment" was pulling into the office for the first time, forgot to unclip my right foot and started the slow descent, somehow got it unclipped and onto the ground before I fell onto my colleagues 2 week old Jag :ohmy:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Confident I'll be faster than toeclips once the setup is tweaked and leg muscles are used to the upstroke!
Looks like you have fallen for some marketing mumbo jumbo.

Korff et al. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007 -
the most powerful and efficient method is not pulling up and producing power on the upstroke, it is instead driving hard with the lead leg and un-weighting the trail leg.

Mornieux et al. Int J Sports Med 2008 -
your pedal stroke with flats and with clipless pedals should remain exactly the same – there is no "magic" pedal stroke that is only available by attaching your feet to your pedals

Nosaj

Agree with Gaz here. I do use the upstroke but only when climbing a hill towards the end of a ride and struggling a bit (it feels for me that it rests the thighs a bit) I am sure any pedalling efficiency I had has gone to pot already by this stage anyway so it is just a means to an end. When I am fresh I do not conciously pull up.

It would make sense I don't think I know many who can hamstring curl more than they squat or press on the leg extension.

Going clipless makes me worry less about feet slipping, gives me more confidence on out of the saddle sprints or to get out of the saddle on a climb. With that added confidence perhaps that leads to an increase in speed.

thefollen

Veteran
Looks like you have fallen for some marketing mumbo jumbo.

Korff et al. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007 -
the most powerful and efficient method is not pulling up and producing power on the upstroke, it is instead driving hard with the lead leg and un-weighting the trail leg.

Mornieux et al. Int J Sports Med 2008 -
your pedal stroke with flats and with clipless pedals should remain exactly the same – there is no "magic" pedal stroke that is only available by attaching your feet to your pedals

To be honest I haven't read much into it, just assumptions I've made from the first experience.

Certainly feels potentially more efficient than the previous setup. Legs not fresh enough to accurately judge cruising/max speeds in comparison, but the the spds show promise. Before I had some Adidas Kundos that work well as a toeclip cycling shoe (http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e4/e4a88587_adidas-kundo-451564.jpg), the clip pedals now will be finding their way to the hybrid.

Calf and hamstring muscles felt slightly different follow my ride this morning- whether this means they're contributing more to the pedal motion, affected more in the clip in/out process or just adjusting to the new position I'm not sure.

One thing I know is that on Sunday I'm cycling the Evans Woking RideIt ride. Signed up for the 60, but can't rule out the long 90 mile route depending on how the legs are feeling! Really looking forward to my clipless jaunt through the countryside.

BSRU

A Human Being
My primary reason to go clipless is knowing my shoes/feet are always in the correct position without having to look down.

BenM

Veteran
My primary reason for going clipless is to keep my feet on the pedals.... and it ain't half weird when I use the flat side of the pedals; my feet actually come away from the pedal cos I am pulling back (not up - see avatar! ) :smile:

Make sure you loosen the tension on the pedals, it makes unclipping easier (especially if you are toppling over at the time!).
I do pull up, but only really away from a standing start, however clipless do make you feel more 'part of the bike' and secure.

I love 'em, even if setting up the cleats to suit can be a pain.

Top Bottom