First club ride preperation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I love this site, thanks so much guys!

Rob3rt - no I understand and really appreciate you pointing those things out. It'll be important to chat to the guys in the group before we leave but I'll make sure to know how it works.

Lejogger - Thank you, it's really interesting to read all that with reference to how another club works. I know I've got a lot to learn and judging the pace, my energy and the distance but I'm hoping it's just practice and regular riding that will help with that. My plan was to take one water bottle and one with an SIS mix and after checking the site there does seem to be a cafe stop (though I'm more worried about stiffening up when we stop).

Reece - Well done on last week. Are you going again this weekend? Did you do anything specific in perpetration or that you would do for the next one?

How long does 40/50 miles usually take? Am I looking at 3/4 hours?

I've just got myself a Garmin Edge 200 and will be fixing up the HRM I got earlier in the year. Hopefully there will be guys there with more knowledge of getting the benefits of the HRM that can explain how I get the most from it.

Cheers

G

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've just got myself a Garmin Edge 200 and will be fixing up the HRM I got earlier in the year. Hopefully there will be guys there with more knowledge of getting the benefits of the HRM that can explain how I get the most from it.

Cheers

G

Gaz, the Edge 200 does not have HRM capability.

Reece

Veteran
Reece - Well done on last week. Are you going again this weekend? Did you do anything specific in perpetration or that you would do for the next one?
No preparation just went with the flow and listened for what the main riders said/signalled. You'll soon pick them up. Just take you're time and relax.

I'm going again Sunday. Doing the early and social ride so should get over 50mile for first time. Definantly a great club. Hope yours is too.

Let us know how you get on. I

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
No preparation just went with the flow and listened for what the main riders said/signalled. You'll soon pick them up. Just take you're time and relax.

I'm going again Sunday. Doing the early and social ride so should get over 50mile for first time. Definantly a great club. Hope yours is too.

Let us know how you get on. I

Cheers! Will do. Enjoy Sunday :smile:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Today I've mostly been thinking about what to wear. It's forecast a cold start but dry tomorrow. But I'm still unsure

Bib shorts and leg warmers or bib tights
Base layer, jersey and Jacket or base layer and jersey
Skull cap
Shoe covers

Get In The Van

Today I've mostly been thinking about what to wear. It's forecast a cold start but dry tomorrow. But I'm still unsure

Bib shorts and leg warmers or bib tights
Base layer, jersey and Jacket or base layer and jersey
Skull cap
Shoe covers

Nooooooo! make an impression, Mankini all the way:thumbsup:
they'll think you're a bit crackers and just go along with whatever you say and probably buy you cake at the cafe stop.
^_^

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
FWIW most folk on this morning's club run had full length tights (although I was in 3/4). Tomorrow is forecast to be a little colder, so I believe. Take layers, layers, layers and remove / add for flexibility. Would say better to take a lightweight jacket and an elastic band. Roll it up tight and secure with the band and stick it in a jersey pocket when you have warmed up a bit. Don't under-dress and get too cold though, it'll only make it a miserable experience. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Getinthevan - ha ha! Love it mate! :biggrin:

Sitting duck, cheers for the advice fella!

Went out for a quick few miles around the city earlier and boy has it been a while since I've been on the roadie! Wore the bib shorts and plenty of layers up top and it was fine though I'm definitely going with the tights in the morning.

Quite nervous about tomorrow though for some reason. Don't want to look an idiot or be a pain to others but it is like a test which hopefully I'm fit enough to do. :smile:

lejogger

Guru
Gaz, don't worry or be nervous, you'll be just fine - I'm completely confident about that.
It's obvious that you're eager to make a good impression and do things the right way, so that will come across and the guys there will be happy to have you along. If they don't I'd consider a different club.
The guys who don't get on are the ones who turn up thinking they know it all and refuse to listen to helpful advice and end up being a danger to themselves and others. That's clearly not you.

Good luck & enjoy it :smile:

OP
OP
Ajax_Gaz

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Thanks so much guys for all the positives Saturday night, really helped and meant a lot.

As for Sunday, apologies for not updating last night I was pretty knackered! Ha ha

Made the meeting point in plenty of time and the sun had come up so weather was pretty spot on for riding. After a quick few introductions we seemed to have a group of about 14. The Cardiff half marathon was on the same morning so quite a few roads were closed but wasn't really an issue.

The first half was 25 miles to our cafe stop, I was pleased with the pace and coped well with it. At times even I felt like pushing on a little more but I knew I'd have to pace myself and I was pleased I'd managed to cycle and have enough breathe to chat to others in the group. By the time the cafe stop came I was glad of the rest. I was quite achy from the saddle and a little sore in my lower back which I took to just being unfamiliar with cycling for so long and far.

A quick half hour coffee break came and went before it was time to get back on. I was getting tired but happy with the route back as I knew most was downhill. However one of the lead out guys decided to spice it up a but and go on a detour up in the hills around Newport and Cwmbran. What followed was a disaster! The group got lost together! To be honest, I couldn't believe it but my first time at the distance and in a group I thought I've got this far let's keep going. We sort of managed to find our way out of lanes though not before encountering a very steep hill that we all had to walk up such was the gradient and the wet/gravel/mud surface. A few more hills followed and my legs had nearly had it. The rest of the route was a mix of housing estates including a cycle path through an industrial site before we made it back into Cardiff and familiar territory. At this point I was completely on empty. I needed a break, some energy and a good stretch so told the group to go on and I'd make my own way back home. A quick energy bar and stretch and I decided to get going before I got cold too. (I had sweat so much that the wet clothes were now making me cold!)

A little while later I got back home. The end result, 4 and a half hours cycling plus Cafe stop and 54.25 miles! I ached a lot and was physically knackered.

Pleased that after a good rest overnight I've only had a few aches today and I'll be back on the mtb commuting tomorrow. :smile:

Cheers!

Top Bottom