First club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
DLB said:
i've just been contacted by the secretary at the club and on Sunday they are setting off early to go to Cleethorpes which must be more that 50 miles one way. 100 miles on my first club run - i don't think so. i'll try the week after.

yuk yuk

and to Cleethorpes to boot!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hi DLB,

Which is the local club?
Thought about this myself, but after starting to commute 15 miles each way during the week (Maltby/Sheff), I'll stick to a bit of easy fun on the mtb at weekends.

I was advised to try Thurcroft, popped along a to a couple of the time trials and they seemed friendly enough

DLB said:
i've really got into cycling over the last 10 months and fancy riding with others. I found via teh internet a local club and contacted their secretary for some details.

They have a Sunday club run and i am thinking of going on one in a few weeks. What i'm worried about is that they average 18 - 20mph where as on a 35 min 'fast' run of mine today i could only manage 15mph average.

Am i just going to be left behind and embarrased?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. It seems where I live there is a CTC section where the rides average 11-13mph and a road cycle club where the rides average 18-20mph but none that cater for me who rides at about 15mph (although would like to go faster). I can see the benefits of drafting etc but I don't think it would increase my speed by 30%. Let us know how you got on with your club run.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It seems where I live there is a CTC section where the rides average 11-13mph and a road cycle club where the rides average 18-20mph but none that cater for me who rides at about 15mph

I think you may have struck gold and not realise it! Riding with the CTC until next spring will get you some ideal 'base miles' under your belt. Committing to a group will motivate you to get out in the crap winter weather and doing long, slowish rides is the ideal winter regime. You will also get good practice riding in a group and being able to hold a wheel.

Then in the spring, start to go out with the road club. Late winter / spring rides tend to be a little steadier than at the moment and you will quickly find your speed will build. They say summer speed is built on your slow winter miles. Try to hang with them as long as possible and then peel off home on your own, but you will soon find you can stay the course.

In the summer, doing one, 'really pushing it' ride a week mixed together with steadier jaunts will quickly have you 'up to speed'. But it's essential to have a good, steady winter under your belt, a decent hydration and feed method that works for you, plus the group riding skills to still be safe amongst others, even when getting near your limit.

Tim Bennet. said:
I think you may have struck gold and not realise it! Riding with the CTC until next spring will get you some ideal 'base miles' under your belt. Committing to a group will motivate you to get out in the crap winter weather and doing long, slowish rides is the ideal winter regime. You will also get good practice riding in a group and being able to hold a wheel.

Then in the spring, start to go out with the road club. Late winter / spring rides tend to be a little steadier than at the moment and you will quickly find your speed will build. They say summer speed is built on your slow winter miles. Try to hang with them as long as possible and then peel off home on your own, but you will soon find you can stay the course.

In the summer, doing one, 'really pushing it' ride a week mixed together with steadier jaunts will quickly have you 'up to speed'. But it's essential to have a good, steady winter under your belt, a decent hydration and feed method that works for you, plus the group riding skills to still be safe amongst others, even when getting near your limit.

Cheers for that. I'll give it a bash and let you know how I get on.

Top Bottom