First club run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

i've really got into cycling over the last 10 months and fancy riding with others. I found via teh internet a local club and contacted their secretary for some details.

They have a Sunday club run and i am thinking of going on one in a few weeks. What i'm worried about is that they average 18 - 20mph where as on a 35 min 'fast' run of mine today i could only manage 15mph average.

Am i just going to be left behind and embarrased?

walker

try it. Thats the best advise anyone could give you. Go along and hang on for as long as you can, if you get dropped, fair enough, alot of people get dropped on their first run, at least you can measure your progress every week if you can hang on for another 15-30 mins. before you know it like the rest of us your on the front leading the group.

I'm in the same boat as you - I'm just about to take the plunge, having ridden in a group for the first time (at a sportive) last weekend. I am also worried about the average speed, as I seem to average between 15-17 mph over a 4 hour run, with very little climbing involved. Local clubs state 18-20mph for the same route,

Ask the club secretary if the policy is to 'drop' anyone who can't keep up. If it is, then you might find it hard to keep pace the first few times, especially when the miles start racking up.

I think that most clubs have more than one run - ask if there is one where you won't get dropped if you maintain a 15mph average and work your way up to going out on the main club run.

OP
OP
D

DLB

thanks for those comments.

I do live in an undulating/hilly region (in my opinion anyway) and the club run may be on flatter ground

the secretary did write in an email to me..

Maybe you could just ride with us for a few miles each week untill you get stronger.

i just don't want to get dropped after 2 miles!!!!

OP
OP
D

DLB

on a more positive not he did put this in the same email...

We go out on clubruns on Sundays, we go a bit faster than 13 mph, but we would coach you and help you.

Shaun

Founder
You often find you ride faster in a group, so don't worry so much and get yourself along and give it a try.

The drafting helps, and you'll find you seem to get pulled along; it's hard to explain exactly, but try it and you'll see what I mean.

If you do get dropped, try again next week. I'm sure the group will try and encourage you if you show willing. :ohmy:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You probably won't get dropped (the group thing will help, as Admin says)

On my first club run I took a map in case I got dropped. I didn't need it.

Joe

Über Member
Let us know how you get on!
I'm in a similar situation actually. I'm signed up for my first sportive in october and if I enjoy riding with others (providing I can keep up;)) I think I will look into finding a club...

OP
OP
D

DLB

i've just been contacted by the secretary at the club and on Sunday they are setting off early to go to Cleethorpes which must be more that 50 miles one way. 100 miles on my first club run - i don't think so. i'll try the week after.

why not ride part of the way with them. tell them you're only doing the first 20 - 30 miles and making your own way back. that way you find out if you can keep up/get to know them and can ride back at your own pace.
lots of riders on the clubruns i do only do parts of the ride due to other commitments.

OP
OP
D

DLB

piedwagtail91 said:
why not ride part of the way with them. tell them you're only doing the first 20 - 30 miles and making your own way back. that way you find out if you can keep up/get to know them and can ride back at your own pace.
lots of riders on the clubruns i do only do parts of the ride due to other commitments.

nice idea mate but i'm away this weekend anyway so it'll have to wait until the following week.

Top Bottom