First commute by bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveW

Veteran
Tried it last week. Normally I drive and have a parking space, so cycling would be for fitness/pleasure rather than need. Decided I had reached a fitness level where the 21 miles each way is manageable and have to say I loved it. The route from just north of Winchester to central Basingstoke is about 18 miles of lovely quiet lanes then a few miles of busier roads nearer Basingstoke, but still not that busy. Discovered that the showers at work are OK too so plan to do this a couple of times a week (fair weather only I expect!).
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Location
Rides Ti2
Nice one Dave,
21 miles each way is a great distance for a cycle commute.
I do 20 to work in the mornings and 14 on the way home.
 

Scrappy

Veteran
Location
N.Wales
Well done!, the scariest thing about cycling to work is knowing you have to cycle back after a long day, I couldn't do it!
 

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've just had a friend whinging about a 5 mile commute to work, Nice to see someone willingly put in a 21 mile commute.
:bravo:
 

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Location
Cornwall
Well done!, the scariest thing about cycling to work is knowing you have to cycle back after a long day, I couldn't do it!

That's the best thing- I know no matter what happens all day no matter who shouts at me/ gets me doing databases at the end of the day it's me, the bike and 12 miles of road to get home- all my woes go out of the window!
 
That's the best thing- I know no matter what happens all day no matter who shouts at me/ gets me doing databases at the end of the day it's me, the bike and 12 miles of road to get home- all my woes go out of the window!
agree that 22 mile home is me my bike no worries ( well 15miles are 5 is central london! :ohmy:)
 

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Location
Rides Ti2
About to do my first commute from my new house tomorrow. 54 mile round trip...erk. Unlike the OP, not so confident about my fitness!


Blimey, that's a fair old trek by bike.
I pray that the cycling and weather Gods are kind to you tomorrow.
How many days a week will you be doing it?
 
Probably a couple of times a week, provided weather is kind. Usually I park just at the edge of Birminghm and cycle in but the 13 mile round trip never feels enough. Not so easy to extend a commute in city traffic. Tomorow's looking dry with light winds so fingers crossed.
 
Top Bottom