First commute on fixed wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The only way to commute, i still get the odd reminder but they seem gentler nowadays,:thumbsup:

spen666

Legendary Member
You'll be surprised just how quickly the new riding style will become instinctive. I did a test-ride on my winter (geared) hack-bike the other day and freewheeling just felt wrong. I'm genuinely thinking my next n+1 will be a fixed wheel that I don't mind getting covered in crap all winter long
I find the same. Commuting on fixed, then when I used one of the geared bikes it feels so wrong

Sharky

Guru
Running 48 x 18 at the moment which for a newbie seems pretty "spinny" on the flat and also using M520s with maximum float which are not an issue on "other" bikes.

48 x 18 is quite a high gear. In old money, this would be a 72" gear and this used to be the classic gear for medium gear, early season races. The top riders have been known to ride sub 60mins for 25 miles! A smaller chainring or a 19 on the back might be a bit more comfortable on the ascents. But it is personal preference and depends how fit you are.
Cheers keith

Top Bottom