First commute on fixed wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brad123

Well that was interesting. I'm glad I don't have to stop to many times on my commute. Nearly got chuck off after only 50 meters stop peddling and up I went.
Have to learn how to stop and start.
Man I did not know how much I freewheel before.
All in all a nice ride.

tyred

Legendary Member
Keep riding it and it will very quickly become second nature.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Nearly got chuck off after only 50 meters stop peddling and up I went. Have to learn how to stop and start.

It should become much easier in a few days, expect the odd gentle reminder! Possibly up to a few weeks to feel 'natural'.

OP
OP
Brad123

Brad123

Cheers for the comments. I hope I get use to it soon. Their 2 sharp corners I have on my commute had to think how to go round them. Normal just stop peddling, peddle in right place lean over and on you go.
Going to learn how to track stand all over again. It not the same

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It should become much easier in a few days, expect the odd gentle reminder! Possibly up to a few weeks to feel 'natural'.

I only once had the forgot-to-pedal fright - and that was the day I bought it. Cornering is Ok - just do a Barry Sheene style arse out of saddle weight shift to keep the bike a bit more upright. I've never had a pedal strike nor even been close (I think)

Last edited:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
You'll be surprised just how quickly the new riding style will become instinctive. I did a test-ride on my winter (geared) hack-bike the other day and freewheeling just felt wrong. I'm genuinely thinking my next n+1 will be a fixed wheel that I don't mind getting covered in crap all winter long

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
There are a few learning curves such as the first time you try and freewheel going over a speed bump and the first time down a steep hill :hyper: but all in all great fun.

I have now got an old converted fixed fitted with mudguards / lights etc for winter and wet commuting and nice lightweight minimal fixed for nicer days

Mike!

Guru
I'm a couple of weeks in on my first Single Speed and beginning to get a few niggles in my right knee again, going to keep trying but not having a "spinning gear" may be an issue for me. I hope not as I'm enjoying the simplicity but I don't want the old injuries surfacing again! (not tried fixed yet for that reason)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I'm a couple of weeks in on my first Single Speed and beginning to get a few niggles in my right knee again, going to keep trying but not having a "spinning gear" may be an issue for me. I hope not as I'm enjoying the simplicity but I don't want the old injuries surfacing again! (not tried fixed yet for that reason)

What gearing are you running Mike ? maybe something more spinny could help. Also are you riding clipless as this could also effect the knee joint ?

I run spd's on all my bikes on m520 pedals just for the amount of float I can get from them as I have also suffered knee issues in the past (buggered my cruciate and medial ligament in my last game of football 12 years ago)

Mike!

Guru
What gearing are you running Mike ? maybe something more spinny could help. Also are you riding clipless as this could also effect the knee joint ?

I run spd's on all my bikes on m520 pedals just for the amount of float I can get from them as I have also suffered knee issues in the past (buggered my cruciate and medial ligament in my last game of football 12 years ago)

Running 48 x 18 at the moment which for a newbie seems pretty "spinny" on the flat and also using M520s with maximum float which are not an issue on "other" bikes.

rb58

Enigma
Gearing is a very personal thing, influenced as much by type of riding as leg strength. I'm running a 67" gear (46x18) and I've worked hard over the past couple of years to increase my cadence (both on the bike and at spin classes) and am quite happy for long spells around 100 rpm. It does need to be worked at though. For a variety of reasons I hadn't ridden fixed since July until this week. I fully expected to forget to "pedal, pedal, pedal" but interestingly, it was natural right from the off, even after six weeks either not riding, or using gears. Bit like riding a bike really [see what I did there?]. So, my advise to the OP is to stick with it.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'll add my 2pworth. You'll soon forget all about freewheeling and as the others have said, you'll get the occasional reminder but it won't take long.
Like you when I first rode fixed I was amazed at how much I freewheeled. It's quite fun riding a geared bike after a fixed, but it feels so lazy to stop pedalling :angel:.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well that was interesting. I'm glad I don't have to stop to many times on my commute. Nearly got chuck off after only 50 meters stop peddling and up I went.
Have to learn how to stop and start.
Man I did not know how much I freewheel before.
All in all a nice ride.

Welcome to the club, I've been fixed for commuting and all winter riding for the last seven years, I was also on fixed wheel for commuting during the late 1980's and early 1990's, just keep riding it will soon be the norm, one day you'll ride gears and it will feel odd.

OP
OP
Brad123

Brad123

Much better day today. Only once did it reminded me. After a sprint up a hill only to have to peddle down the other side when legs were crying stop^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom