First commute on the Brompton... Fell off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Crikey. I've always stood up on the pedals on my Brompton and have never ever had a problem, with or without front luggage. And I've always been a lot heavier than 60kg - or even 70kg. Big holes are a problem (my one solo off in recent years was going very slowly on a downhill on the Brompton when I failed to notice a large pothole), but they're a problem whether you're standing up or sitting down. And I've never had an anti-fold clip - and if I did I'd whip it off PDQ.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find honking on an S type a weird experience.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Went down to the Covent Garden store and they fitted me a catch there and then without charging labour so hopefully won't come off in similar circumstances again! Chap also noticed my suspension had a very soft block so upgraded that for me too which should also help.
They offer great service. Agree on the front bag comments - definitely help make the quick-steering more stable.

Crankarm

Guru
I never had a problem with them folding with or without the front pannier, riding standing up or sitting down. It must be the OP's riding style.

However I have fitted a hinge catch back in the summer as it was difficult pushing and lifting the bike up over the kerb when you have got off it in the road, only reason I fitted one. I also fitted the new brake levers which are miles better than the old crap ones. Next it is new callipers but this will have to wait a bit for more ££££. I also fitted SPDs as soon as I got it, getting rid of the crap pedals, especially the folding one.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I borrow my wife's Brompton from time to time.
They are such fun to ride, I'm really jealous.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a newish S3L and that locks fine, and certainly standing up is not an issue. The S bag on the front does help enormously in stability, but overall the bike is a lot twitchier than other bikes. But I love it

fimm

Veteran
It is entirely speculation on my part that a larger (height and/or weight) person might find a Brompton more twitchy. If others disagree, then my speculation would appear to be incorrect. I can only speak from my experience from within the body I have! I know some people really don't like the ride, while others love them.

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
It's definitely twitchier IMO but feel more secure now I've had the hinge catch fitted to secure the back wheel.

Rode it for 6 miles last night from Paddington to Finsbury Park at night and I struggled to be honest, found the hill from Camden to Holloway tough old going (wearing a backpack and felt a lot more in my back than on normal bike but could have been from the bump earlier in the day).

It's handy to get from station to X in central London but I can't see how people do tours on them!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It is entirely speculation on my part that a larger (height and/or weight) person might find a Brompton more twitchy. If others disagree, then my speculation would appear to be incorrect. I can only speak from my experience from within the body I have! I know some people really don't like the ride, while others love them.

Fair point, I didn't like the ride but I'm large so maybe that made a difference, though I know other tall people that are happy with them.

jay clock

Massive member
It's definitely twitchier IMO but feel more secure now I've had the hinge catch fitted to secure the back wheel.

Rode it for 6 miles last night from Paddington to Finsbury Park at night and I struggled to be honest, found the hill from Camden to Holloway tough old going (wearing a backpack and felt a lot more in my back than on normal bike but could have been from the bump earlier in the day).

It's handy to get from station to X in central London but I can't see how people do tours on them!
I am a fit healthy cyclist but also find the gearing tough. I have a standard 3 speed but I changed the front ring to a 46 from a 50 and it makes all the difference. On the flat I flick between 2 and 3. I can probably do close to 20mph flat out in third. First gear is ok for hills but to be frank even easier would be nice.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The off might have been nothing to do with the clip / folding. Could have been wet street furniture. Small wheels and wet road metal / white lines are a pretty poor combo, I've had one spectacular off and a couple of near misses from that.

I find the handingly fine - Stype no front bag - I'm 80kg if thats relevent :whistle:

StuartG

slower but further
Fitting a catch to a real Brommie is unforgivable sacrilege. It slows the fold by at least 500 nanoseconds ... that is all you need to know.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm a bit confused by this thread.

My 2010 Brommie is a standard bike.

It can run with either a locked or swinging rear triangle.

The setting is done by twisting the suspension block, leave it in one position and the rear triangle will flop about, leave it in another and the rear triangle will lock, needing a shove on the latch to release it.

Makes no difference to my genteel riding style, although an unlocked rear triangle is sometimes a nuisance when you are not riding and want to lift the rear of the bike, for example, over a kerb, of if you just want to hoik the back end around to lean the bike against something.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why would you want to lean a Brompton against anything? It has a built-in stand which means you can leave the wall for someone else.

Top Bottom