First commute on the Brompton... Fell off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
So after having my hybrid/traditional vandalised at Victoria, I decided to get a Brompton for my London commute as I can use it at both ends of my train journey. Had a little spin round the block on it at home the other day but today was the first time I'd used it in the capital.

All going very well, even went quicker along the mall than on my Dawes Consulate but then when I was climbing from Trafalgar Square past the National Portrait Gallery I hit the deck in the middle of the road.

I can only think it was because I was standing to pedal, the back wheel hit a small dent in the road and folded up as my centre of gravity was over the front of the bike more when standing. Is this possible?

Anyway, all ok bar minor bumps but want to try and avoid being in the road every morning so is standing up when climbing a big no no?

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Doesn't it have a hinge catch to stop it folding up when you bunny hop onto a kerb?

(don't ask me how I know about this)

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
It's not a new one sadly, a second one circa the late 90s, works fine but may be a death trap!

Can you get a hinge catch fitted?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm surprised they were ever sold without one... latent design defect!

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
Yes, I did think that, if you got hit by a car from behind, even at low speed, it'd be probably be an A&E visit at best.

Otherwise, I love it.

Brompton Junction is very near my work so I can pop down, any idea how much it costs to fit a hinge catch?

fimm

Veteran
My Brompton doesn't have a hinge catch. I stand up on the pedals all the time without issue. I do weigh less than 60kg though (this may not be relevant, but it might be). When I was hit at low speed from behind, I think that the folding up of the rear wheel absorbed some of the impact. I was stationary with a foot on the floor at the time, however, and I accept that it could/would be different if you were moving.

I've never tried to bunny-hop any of my bikes...

OP
OP
CirrusDesAigles

CirrusDesAigles

Regular
Interesting, I'm only 70kg. I was standing up like I'd stand up on my hybrid or road bike and suspect I was too far forward. Do you try and actively try and keep your weight towards the rear of the bike when standing up?

Just don't want it to happen again, could be a car or bus right behind me next time!

Bokonon

Über Member
I use one of these: http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s155p127 on my Brompton. Also makes picking up and carrying the thing a lot easier as it doesn't try to fold up under itself.

I used to find the riding dynamics of the Brompton very odd compared to a full size bike; it takes some getting used to. I tend not to get out of the saddle much, especially on the Brompton, but generally keeping your weight back is probably a good thing. Bizarrely I find the bike handles best with a reasonable load being carried in a front mounted bag.

fimm

Veteran
Bizarrely I find the bike handles best with a reasonable load being carried in a front mounted bag.
<penny drops>
This.
I nearly always have a front mounted bag on, and it makes a huge difference to the way the bike handles. I really don't think I conciously stand up on the pedals any differently on the B. than on my road bike.

Top Bottom