First commute today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

Commuted to work on my bike today, first time. 27 km in 1 hour 15mins, going home should be a little quicker, legs allowing. Walton on Thames to London NW10. on my trusty scott rockwood with road tyres, rack and pannier, heavy but comfy and bombproof, thought about my giant road bike (SCR 2) but ment a backpack so wasn't too keen but would have been quicker.

Normal journey time in car 45 mins in am, 1.5 hours in pm so total commute time will be unchanged, but in the evening I will be moving all the time.

Just pleased to have finally done it, weather lovely, saw things on my route I've not noticed in 5 years car driving. Hope to do 2 twice a week + a sunday ride to keep in trim and hopefully lose some weight

Just had to tell someone, life is good :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Congratulations! Its the start of a wonderful thing. Keep it up:smile:

NigC

Wow! Walton to NW10, that's a fair distance :biggrin: I go from Walton to Weybridge (practically Byfleet) and that's enough for me. Although I have a longer route planned for when I have the time and energy :biggrin:

NigC

Biscuit said:
Brilliant. Well done. A fantastic sunny day to start commuting. I'm sure you'll keep it up.
Do you guys still get parrots flying about down there??

Yeah, the parakeets fly over quite a lot. I've noticed they like to spend their days by the river, then fly back in the evening to Esher (I believe). If you're in the garden at the right time, you'll see flocks of them heading home and the noise is something else :smile:

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

Lots of parrots in Bushy Park, normally walking though when I see them in the morning, last I heard the population was in the 10,000 bracket spread across Esher Ruby Club and other sites in the area. Pretty to look at and a conversation starte with people from outside the area.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
;)

Best time to start too. Get the buzz before winter starts.

Gains

Nice one Chief - is really amazing all the bits you miss when youre in a car isnt it?!:biggrin: Good distance too so good luck with building up the frequency, mines only 10 each way but not managed a whole week yet! Slacker i know!;)

Parrots and parakeets?! i saw 2 ducks the other day? Numerous rabbit road kill too...probably be cooked by the time im riding home...no, wont try that actually! :biggrin:

Chiefwiggum said:
Normal journey time in car 45 mins in am, 1.5 hours in pm so total commute time will be unchanged, but in the evening I will be moving all the time.

Assuming you keep it up in the winter... you'll be faster then as you won't need to defrost the car, this is about the only thing that makes me faster on the bike ;) and over the next few months your times might start dropping, or atleast just feeling easier.

27km is a good distance, so well done :biggrin:

NigC

Just out of interest: did you take the roads or go along the river? It looks like you can get a fair distance along the Thames path ;)

Mike!

Guru
I started a few weeks ago and love it, i only have 5.5 miles and depending on Traffic is sometimes quicker than the car. At worst only 5 mins slower, so the way i'm looking at it is that i'm getting exercise for no extra time penaulties in my busy life!

Keep it up!

OP
OP
Chiefwiggum

Chiefwiggum

The route could use the tow path but would be considerably longer, also I do try to do a 50-70km ride at the weekend so although first commute, I do cycle reasonably often for a fair distance so hence the time, the road bike will be flying after the the resistance training on the trusty Scott!

Top Bottom