First commute with SPDs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can practice a half clip for when you might need to stop but dont want to take it out fully yet... move your foot so it just about unclips but keep your foot in that position (works better for road cleats), this way your foot is already positioned to clip back in if you are to continue without actually stopping.

Don't relax, at least one fall at some point is almost compulsory, but you are doing great!

I think this is wrong, if you stress about it at every light/junction etc you're going to faff about more...

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Next trick is trying to pedal right through the stroke, rather than stamping and lifting. I still only manage to do this occasionally.

There are various discussions about efficiency and what effect SPDs can play in this, but the best bit is when you need a lot of extra torque (e.g. sharp up-hill bit), and you can engage both sets of muscles and almost throw the bike over the brow.
Cheers BrumJim – yeah, I noticed the difference going uphill! Was conscious of doing more 'lifting' too, and trying to pedal a full stroke.

Oh, and check those screws that hold the cleats onto the shoe regularly. Only had one clipless moment when I'd lost one fixing, and therefore couldn't release one foot. Mananged the entire journey unclipping the other foot until the last junction, just by home. Thought I could do it without stopping, but realised I couldn't just as I was leaning over to take the corner. Stopped, and knew I was going to fall. And fell.

Gave the cleat screws a check and wee tighten when I got home last night... would it be worth putting some thread-lock stuff on them? Never used it before.

Twanger

Über Member
Two things stop mg going clipless. One is the fact that the pedal sticks out (Brompton) and the bike is less foldable. The other is that when I tried them on my hybrid, the cleats came loose on the shoes, and no amount of twisting would unclip them. Thankfully, I was testing them on a path by South Norwood Lake, and so I just rode onto the grass and fell. But the thought of that happening at teh Oval fills me with horror.

mangid

Guru
<br />Cheers BrumJim – yeah, I noticed the difference going uphill! Was conscious of doing more 'lifting' too, and trying to pedal a full stroke.<br /><br /><br /><br />Gave the cleat screws a check and wee tighten when I got home last night... would it be worth putting some thread-lock stuff on them? Never used it before.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I actually grease mine, you will be replacing them from time to time. Never had mine come loose. Do check them for wear every 6 months or so, worn cleats are likely to lead to a moment :-)

Should have asked about your pedal choice over in the shoe thread... I got some single sided Ultegra SPD (not SPD-SL) 14+ years ago and they were great, 30k+ miles. Recently replaced with PD-A600's which appear to be of equivalent excellent build. The cheaper pedals do seem to wear a lot quicker, and it's amazing sometimes how you live with slowly degrading components.

--
Dan

Boris Bike

I had my first clipless commute yesterday. Very aware that I could fall off whenever I stopped so unclipped early. Had one moment where I had to lean against the side of car (thankfully they didn't notice).

I spent a lot of time riding with one in and one out. But that's enough about my balls, back to the commute. I'm guessing the "pull" part when using clipless uses muscles that the "push" part doesn't becasue my legs were hurting in different places that they normally would.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
*tempts fate*

I've been using SPDs for almost 5 years now and I've yet to have a clipless moment.... :whistle:

so glad you said that before me. As far as I can recall I not had a moment yet.

although I do keep them set to a very light tolerence so that i can unclip with just s sharp upright pull. (a hangover from my MTB days I'm afraid)

Well done MrMac.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I had my first clipless commute yesterday. Very aware that I could fall off whenever I stopped so unclipped early. Had one moment where I had to lean against the side of car (thankfully they didn't notice).

I spent a lot of time riding with one in and one out. But that's enough about my balls, back to the commute. I'm guessing the "pull" part when using clipless uses muscles that the "push" part doesn't becasue my legs were hurting in different places that they normally would.

:rofl:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
so glad you said that before me. As far as I can recall I not had a moment yet.

although I do keep them set to a very light tolerence so that i can unclip with just s sharp upright pull. (a hangover from my MTB days I'm afraid)

Well done MrMac.
Cheers jonny :smile: It only took a couple of rides for them to, er, "click".... just a shame my shiny new SPD shoes got completely soaked this morning as my overshoes are merely water-resistant :rain:

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Or in front of a busy bus stop at rush hour, which broke my virginity! (The shame...)

I done exactly the same thing !! I crumpled into the gutter, bike and all, got my act together, looked at the crowded bus stop felt I had to regain some kind of cred so I did a large over theatrical bow, got back on the bike and pedalled calmly off.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I got all my clipless moments (and probably a fair few other people's ) out of the way on the first ride in them, Dalby Forest Blue route in the snow! Riding clipless off-road soon teaches you to unclip instinctively when you need to. Can't remember the last time I actually had to think about it.

Top Bottom