First commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

Norm

I've had a few explosive moment recently, but I'm not sure I could put all 5kg down to any of them. :biggrin:

There was very little wind here yesterday, what there was came from the west so probably had little effect either way on my north-south commute.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just done a ride to pick up my rear light. On the way there - cruising at over 25, and topped 30 mile/h at one point. Life is good.
On the way back - struggled like crazy and never got on to the big ring. Anything over 20 was a struggle.

Probably still feeling bitter about my sudden loss of stamina and strength.

potsy

Rambler
Just done a ride to pick up my rear light. On the way there - cruising at over 25, and topped 30 mile/h at one point. Life is good.
On the way back - struggled like crazy and never got on to the big ring. Anything over 20 was a struggle.

Probably still feeling bitter about my sudden loss of stamina and strength.

How heavy is the light?
laugh.gif

OP
OP
N

Norm

Hmm... this commuting thing is a conundrum, isn't it.

On the way in today, I was trying to take it slowly but still did it in 33 minutes. I felt fine when I got there, I was a little sweaty but it had been a lovely ride on a beautiful morning for riding.

This evening, I did everything I could to get my time down, worked my ass off and did it in 29 minutes dead.

Is that it? The difference between a relaxed amble and a charge only gives a time saving of around 10%? The difference between walking into the office and staggering into the house is just 4 minutes. It took me longer than that to make it up the garden path.
Made a conscious effort to go even slower on the way in today, it hardly had any impact on the journey time (34 minutes, only 1 minute longer) but I had hardly broken a sweat.

And I saved way more than the extra minute because a quick rub down was all that I needed on arrival.

Very pleasant ride this morning, too. The first commute in the rain and it was much, much better than doing it in bright sunshine. Don't get me wrong, when cycling for leisure / pleasure, blue skies win out every time, but when doing it for a purpose, it was nice in the light rain.

Stephenite

Membå
But if you ride slowly you might not be able to keep up that weight loss. I dont know if weight is a big issue for you.

On the other hand, you could get out for a leisure trip once in a while :smile:

OP
OP
N

Norm

On the weight loss and general fitness, I have convinced myself that 35 minutes of moderate exercise and 30 minutes of fairly hard exercise every day that I commute is pretty good. :biggrin:

The leisure trips are missed. I had a 4 month "holiday", in which I would do a 30 mile ride 3 times a week. I'm back at the grindstone, working 11 hours a day and the only leisure trip I've had in about 2 months was heading to Rickmansworth with Mr Walnuts to meet Halo & The Klingon.

potsy

Rambler
On the weight loss and general fitness, I have convinced myself that 35 minutes of moderate exercise and 30 minutes of fairly hard exercise every day that I commute is pretty good. :biggrin:

The leisure trips are missed. I had a 4 month "holiday", in which I would do a 30 mile ride 3 times a week. I'm back at the grindstone, working 11 hours a day and the only leisure trip I've had in about 2 months was heading to Rickmansworth with Mr Walnuts to meet Halo & The Klingon.

You're doing well norm,that's about the same exercise routine as me.I'm finding that after 4 or 5 commutes a week I rarely do any leisure cycling now,just too tired/lazy.
Maybe riding 110+ miles next Saturday will get me out of a rut
ohmy.gif

You're doing well norm,that's about the same exercise routine as me.I'm finding that after 4 or 5 commutes a week I rarely do any leisure cycling now,just too tired/lazy.
Maybe riding 110+ miles next Saturday will get me out of a rut
ohmy.gif

Same here but I have a huge ride lined up next year.You just reminded me.

OP
OP
N

Norm

Bloody puncture fairy. I counted 5 patches in my rear tube last night, and that's just the one which is on the bike. I alternate two tubes (I usually just switch inner tubes if I get a puncture on a ride) so there's probably the same number in my spare tube. I've only done about 600 miles on that bike. :sad:

Bloody puncture fairy. I counted 5 patches in my rear tube last night, and that's just the one which is on the bike. I alternate two tubes (I usually just switch inner tubes if I get a puncture on a ride) so there's probably the same number in my spare tube. I've only done about 600 miles on that bike. :sad:

3 absolute max, then dump Norm.
Secteur is your ride? Marathon + tyres(nice reflective sidewalls too, Spa Cycles etc) - and the tubes will still be intact long after Santa's cycle in 2010... :biggrin:

Top Bottom