First CX Event

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode my first CX race last night !
Round 6 of the Ridley-Western Summer League, in the grounds of Hengrove Leisure Park.

I was on my MTB along with a few others !
The race started on the old 'runway' before heading thru some technical sections.
I was pleased to last the course riding for 56 mins. In that time I covered 9 laps !
The winner & his chasing group managed 11 laps !!

image.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Well done! Pretty damned immersive isn't it?

When I first started riding CX, in the early 90's, I rode my MTB
1990s. Cyclo-Cross. 1993. Johnathon Noble Memorial.jpg 1990s. Cyclo-Cross. 1994 Jonathon Noble Memorial.jpg

Then, when I got slightly more serious, I bought a CX bike
This was an ex team bike, so no mudguard eyelets, no bottle cage bosses (Paul Milnes/Bradford Olympic RC. Reynolds 653)

Colours, as bought ('SIlcoates Scramble')
Cycling. 1990s. Cyclo-Cross. Silcoates Scramble. 2.jpg

Later repainted to match my 'work' -cum- 'general-purpose' bike
Please note, this was pre STI days, it was on bar-end levers (7-speed), & SPDs (one model only) were only recently easily available
Cycling. 1990s. Cyclo-Cross. Reynolds 653.jpg

It's far easier on a CX bike;
Lighter - when you have to carry ('road-sized' frame means you can get it on your shoulder properly)
Gearing - generally closer-ratio (unless you change the block on your MTB)
Larger diameter wheels rolled easier (advent of 29ers may have changed this?)

Surprisingly (to beginners) the flotation advantage of MTB width tyres isn't that much
Braking has been equalled out, due to the advent of disc-brakes on CX bikes (less clogging)

That said, chains, derailleurs & cassettes still clog, as mine did at a race at Cleckheaton (you know it's 'claggy', when you have to pedal downhill, to avoid stopping!!!)

Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 5.JPG Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 13.JPG Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 14.JPG Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 15.JPG

Then on other days, if you have a 'Summer Series', as Yorkshire does, it can be glorious, with bone dry courses (Salendine Nook, north-western Huddersfield)
Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. www.flamingcreations.co.uk. 4. Salendine Nook.jpg

Attachments

• Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 9.JPG
    Cycling. Cyclo-Cross. 2008. WhiteChapel School. 9.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
View attachment 95243 View attachment 95244

This was an ex team bike, so no mudguard eyelets, no bottle cage bosses (Paul Milnes/Bradford Olympic RC. Reynolds 653)

View attachment 95246

Please note, this was pre STI days, it was on bar-end levers (7-speed), & SPDs (one model only) were only recently easily available
View attachment 95245

Lighter - when you have to carry ('road-sized' frame means you can get it on your shoulder properly)

Surprisingly (to beginners) the flotation advantage of MTB width tyres isn't that much
Braking has been equalled out, due to the advent of disc-brakes on CX bikes (less clogging)

That said, chains, derailleurs & cassettes still clog, as mine did at a race at Cleckheaton (you know it's 'claggy', when you have to pedal downhill, to avoid stopping!!!)

View attachment 95247 View attachment 95249 View attachment 95250 View attachment 95251

Then on other days, if you have a 'Summer Series', as Yorkshire does, it can be glorious, with bone dry courses (Salendine Nook, north-western Huddersfield)
View attachment 95252

Riding again next Weds - 15th at Oldbury Court.
My CX bike is now prep'd & ready for action !

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
View attachment 95243 View attachment 95244

View attachment 95246

View attachment 95245

View attachment 95247 View attachment 95249 View attachment 95250 View attachment 95251

View attachment 95252

I did the Silcoates a few of times- fast course when dry, utter draggy pig when wet!

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Must try a CX soon. A couple of mates are serious about them ,but I don't know if my skills would embarrass me

Must try a CX soon. A couple of mates are serious about them ,but I don't know if my skills would embarrass me

Don't worry about it, the skills will come with riding it
Practice firstly, on a local field/in woodland/single-track

I can easily jump off the bike, in the correct manner, with right foot in between left leg & crank, hitting the ground running, & pick the bike up
However, to my last race (not raced CX since 2009/2010), I still landed painfully at times, on a running re-mount:wacko:

I've started re-fettling mine, after going to watch a 'Yorkshire Cyclo-Cross Association' (summer-series, Wednesday evening) race last week at a School to the east of Leeds (Brigshaw School @ KIppax), with a view to possibly returning to competition at either
20th September; Thornes Park (Wakefield, organised by Wakefield Triathlon Club)
4th October; Temple Newsam (Leeds, organised by Seacroft Wheelers)

P8131517.JPG

OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak