First cycle commute ever !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Shady

Cheers for all the votes of confidence ppl ! :sad:

I am going to slowly build up on a week by week basis, I'll start cycling in twice a week, then 3 times then finally 4 times a week - I do a late shift once a week so its not practical to have a shower at work at 10am !!

Thankfully my legs aren't that sore today - but they were on fire yesterday !!!

Cheers

Shady

Maz

Guru
Well done that man. Keep up the good work, shady!

Yeah nice one shady,good luck.

Well done Shady! If you can start now in the winter, you'll be breezing the commute by spring and summer, and you'll have a nice amount of fitness to blow past all the fair weather cyclists by then.
Of course he read that on a cornflake packet.:sad:

I do a late shift once a week so its not practical to have a shower at work at 10am !!
I would if I could,unfortunately in the twenty years I have been there they haven't bothered fitting showers for us.

Radius

SHREDDER
Nice one Shady, you'll get a lot faster I should imagine as you do it more. Interestingly, I set a new record for my v short 2.5 mile commute the other day when I had to use my road bike cos the hybrid had a puncture. 8 minutes!!! End of my road: 8:24, got there 8:33. It shows me either that I've got a lot faster, or how much lighter my road bike is ;)

Nice one Shady. This is an excellent plan ..

Shady said:
Cheers for all the votes of confidence ppl ! :becool:

I am going to slowly build up on a week by week basis, I'll start cycling in twice a week, then 3 times then finally 4 times a week - I do a late shift once a week so its not practical to have a shower at work at 10am !!

Thankfully my legs aren't that sore today - but they were on fire yesterday !!!

Cheers

Shady
.. well, it worked for me. And I speak from the dizzy heights of nearly a whole year!! ;)

And it does get easier, it does, promise. Although you tend to compensate by pushing harder so what happens is you still make the same effort, you just get there quicker. This coming from an out of shape and lazy 40 year old, but getting less out of shape as time goes by. :biggrin:

snakehips

Well done. I can still remember my first , it was about 12 miles and a long time ago. When I arrived I phoned home and my wife was astonished to hear that I had got there safely and so quickly. Her first words were 'where are you' (the mobile phone had yet to be dreamed of btw!).

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

LondonCommuter

Well done. I started just over a year ago, after not cycling for 20 years, and found that my fitness and times improved massively in the first few weeks and have improved (at a slower rate obviously) ever since.

Be careful though, especially in this weather

Cromcruaich

Well done mate, brave of you to jump in in the middle of winter. I took the plung about 2.5 years ago now and doesnt take long to get used to it - i waited until summer though :biggrin:

congrats!

marooncat

Well done.

I remember my first one (3 summers ago) and how tired I was all day at work and dreading the trip home. That whole summer I only cycled two or three days a week and NEVER two days in a row and always felt totally kn*ckard all day when I had cycled in.

Now I feel better prepaired for work on the days I cycle as I am awake and alert when I get there not still half asleep and living on coffee..

Well done.Not sure if I can remember my first commute although I remember some of the earlier ones.

Trouble is at that time I wasn't looking 30 years up the road (pardon the pun),thinking I would never get old.

Didn't have t'internet then either.

Top Bottom