First Cycle Commute of 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

It's great to be back (cycling that is, not being at work!). Had my first commute of the year after the eating and drinking festive period and after having had a nasty cold virus thingy pass right through the family (cue lots of lost sleep! :sad::biggrin:)

What a commute to start the year with :excl:. Crisp, cold and blue/red sky! :biggrin: No incidents to report either! :biggrin::biggrin:

Lets hope the rest of the year continues in this manner, although I'd quite like it to warm up a wee bit in the summer :biggrin:.

Happy new year cycling folks!

U

User482

My first one was yesterday. I chased after a car driver who turned across my path at a junction. Apparently my hi-viz jacket, reflective strips and bright LED lights weren't sufficient for her to see me.

So business as usual really.

PrettyboyTim

I had my first commute back today as well. Having hardly cycled in the last month, it seemed harder than usual, but in the end I made very good time. I wonder if it's anything to do with my new (slightly thinner) tyres?

Nice ride, though.

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Hi Guys,

It's great to be back (cycling that is, not being at work!). Had my first commute of the year after the eating and drinking festive period and after having had a nasty cold virus thingy pass right through the family (cue lots of lost sleep! :sad::biggrin:)

What a commute to start the year with :biggrin:. Crisp, cold and blue/red sky! :biggrin: No incidents to report either! :sad::biggrin:

Lets hope the rest of the year continues in this manner, although I'd quite like it to warm up a wee bit in the summer :excl:.

Happy new year cycling folks!

Y'Wee Jessie!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Happy new year Manga, good to have you back and raring to go. I'll bet you have plenty of unsolicited advise to dole out after your break eh? :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Y'Wee Jessie!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

I was thinking temperatures of 40C would just about build up a sweat :biggrin:.

Happy new year Manga, good to have you back and raring to go. I'll bet you have plenty of unsolicited advise to dole out after your break eh? :biggrin:

Oh aye! I also bet you will try your very best to rattle my cage! :biggrin:

Nae chance matey! :excl:

Tynan

Veteran
6am start, dark and cold but no problems at all, lots of cars jumping lights at more or less deserted junctions, the rascals

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Oh aye! I also bet you will try your very best to rattle my cage! :excl:

Nae chance matey! :biggrin:

Dunno about that, I managed it a fair few times in 2007, can't see 2008 being any different! :biggrin::biggrin:

First commute of 2008 today (had New Year's Day off - wow!).

Quite hard work, which surprised me. I think it was more due to the psychological feeling of starting another year of work rather than the environmental factors of a freezing headwind! :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
Was going to cycle in today (first day back this year and all that), but the wind put me off, which was a shame really as the ride home would have been nice. Kind of glad in a way that I didn't cycle in though - saw one cyclist having a hard time of it against a pretty nasty head wind, and my car was getting quite a battering and all. Tomorrow will hopefully be my first commute of the year!

Tynan

Veteran
tsk

coming home yesterday was a slog, bit of a head wind and a general tiredness, a distinct 'something must be wrong with the bike' feeling

Plax

Guru
Cycled in today for the first time this year. Lovely in the morning (bit nippy, but not freezing). Not a flake of snow in sight (sob, sob). Weather on the way home took a turn for the worse - pouring down and really windy. Luckily for me a) it had stopped raining at home time and :smile: the wind was in my favour up all the hills. The last stretch was a bit of a slog as I had the wind against me though.

levad

Veteran
My first commute of 2008 at 6am this morning, very very windy, but mostly behind me. New jacket, biblongs, cleats and bar ends. Quick time in but I suspect it will be slow going home (unless the wind changes direction).

Top Bottom