First cyclist off'd on Gosport-Fareham rapid bus route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At least they haven't quoted the PC from Cosham claiming that the broken nose and thumb showed how important helmets are and both would
have been prevented had the cyclist been wearing a helmet!

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Must admit i had to google Fareham rapid transit.How could a cyclist come into conflict with a bus? Judging by this video it's a straight wide road.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
How could a cyclist come into conflict with a bus? Judging by this video it's a straight wide road.

Most likely filtering on the left approaching a bus stop. Bus pulls in to the stop without checking mirror, cyclist gets squeezed to the kerb. Alternatively, bus was making a left turn, overtakes cyclist going straight, cuts him off. Speculation, I know.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
At least they haven't quoted the PC from Cosham claiming that the broken nose and thumb showed how important helmets are and both would
have been prevented had the cyclist been wearing a helmet!

I broke my nose whilst wearing a helmet last year... also broke my finger and bruised my tackle and stomach pretty badly... Maybe the PC thinks I need a little helmet for me helmet. :laugh:

DRHysted

Guru
Most likely filtering on the left approaching a bus stop. Bus pulls in to the stop without checking mirror, cyclist gets squeezed to the kerb. Alternatively, bus was making a left turn, overtakes cyclist going straight, cuts him off. Speculation, I know.

or alternatively the cyclist didn't notice the brake lights and went in the back of the bus.
The wording make me wonder.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
or alternatively the cyclist didn't notice the brake lights and went in the back of the bus.

There just isnt any info in there to ascertain anything of the sort. Hopefully the bus cctv will help out, as its not as if there were many other road users to act as witnesses. All we know is "rider down"

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman

It wouldn't be the first time. Wasn't a cyclist killed a couple of months back after cycling straight into a parked van?

Then again, cyclists are often reported as "colliding with a bus" when the cyclist had little to do with it. If murders were reported like cycling accidents, we'd hear of people "colliding with bullets" and "repeatedly falling onto a knife".

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/tr...-praises-driver-for-saving-his-life-1-3810681

Update. Injudicious actions on his part (not signalling and swerving out as the bus overtook).

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So sounds like he was sat at the left at a light controlled junction where he wanted to turn right and didn't do a lifesaver before changing position?

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
He hasn't learned his lesson if all he gets from it is that he should have signalled. Signalling wouldn't necessarily have prevented the accident - checking his rear view before moving would have.

These sorts of accidents are going to become more common with the increase in electric and hybrid vehicles on the road. Such vehicles may be virtually silent. "Mirror, signal, manoeuvre" is not just a good idea for motorists.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
For someone like me who has intermittent hearing problems (I've worked with industrial catering machinery all my working life) I have to rely on my eyes more, I would imagine deaf cyclists would be better off around electric cars etc... :whistle:

Top Bottom