First Drop Bar Bike (almost)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Hi everyone,

I've been commuting to work on my Ridgeback Speed for a good 8 months now however it seems to be wearing out rather quick! I've spent about £200 on getting it repaired already which is mad seeing as it cost me £300 in the first place. Therefore I'm thinking of getting my first racer/ drop bar, and would like some advice on the matter.

I had a racer from the local charity shop when I was at University, but couldn't stand it as it felt like a death trap when I used it. Since then I've been told it's probably because it wasn't adjusted properly for me.

Anyway I'd like to know how much it would cost to get a nice road/racer/dropbar (I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to call them) bike for commuting and probably long distance cycling too ( 50 miles or so, long distance for me!) which wouldn't need repairing every month when something went wrong!

It's either this or spend a fortune replacing my drive trains on my current bike along with the chain on my current bike which now seems like a waste.

There's a "Muddyfox Pace" bike on Sports Direct going for £160, but I can't find any reviews. What do people think about that? If not that, then what? My budget would probably have a top limit of £300.

Thanks, Tom

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What needs replacing in 8 months ?
Apart from brake pads , chain+ cassette it should still be good to go , the BB should be ok for a while yet too.Tyres + inner tubes should be good for a while yet.
I reckon on a cassette ,chain + 2 sets of pads a year , my last BB lasted a couple of years .

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Turns out the largest Virtuoso model is too small for me :sad: I like to buy my bikes in person which puts the Triban 3 out of the running, so I'm thinking I might get the TDF in a month or so when my savings are looking a bit healthier.

Thanks for the help everyone!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Turns out the largest Virtuoso model is too small for me :sad: I like to buy my bikes in person which puts the Triban 3 out of the running, so I'm thinking I might get the TDF in a month or so when my savings are looking a bit healthier.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Lanky then ? the medium is on thelarge size for me .

OT, you've been unlucky or overcharged with your Ridgeback. My rear rim on my Ridgeback Velocity failed at circa 6,000miles (£55) I've had about 4 or 5 new cassettes/chains (circa £100) and probably the same number of pads (circa £50) and after 8,500mile had to replace the rear tyre (£13), I've replaced the cables outer once and the inners a few times (circa £10). About £228 in 5 years.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Just to clear things up, I've had my bike since about 2010 I think, riding it leisurely, more often in the Summer of course. I just made the point about commuting as only now is it getting used regularly. Still, I imagine I've done at least a thousand miles or so before I started commuting.

Think I might go for the TDF next month. Also the Halfords three year care plan looks like a good deal, anyone have any experience?

jim55

Guru
er,,DO NOT use halfords for servicing and stuff !!!!prob a few good branches but unless you know it personally id find a lbs and stick with them ,by all means buy from halfords if u want ,but its assembly and service im talking about

Top Bottom