First Drop Bar Bike (almost)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Boopop, 20 Jul 2012.

1. Boopop

Boopop Über Member

Hi everyone,

I've been commuting to work on my Ridgeback Speed for a good 8 months now however it seems to be wearing out rather quick! I've spent about £200 on getting it repaired already which is mad seeing as it cost me £300 in the first place. Therefore I'm thinking of getting my first racer/ drop bar, and would like some advice on the matter.

I had a racer from the local charity shop when I was at University, but couldn't stand it as it felt like a death trap when I used it. Since then I've been told it's probably because it wasn't adjusted properly for me.

Anyway I'd like to know how much it would cost to get a nice road/racer/dropbar (I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to call them) bike for commuting and probably long distance cycling too ( 50 miles or so, long distance for me!) which wouldn't need repairing every month when something went wrong!

It's either this or spend a fortune replacing my drive trains on my current bike along with the chain on my current bike which now seems like a waste.

There's a "Muddyfox Pace" bike on Sports Direct going for £160, but I can't find any reviews. What do people think about that? If not that, then what? My budget would probably have a top limit of £300.

Thanks, Tom

2. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

What needs replacing in 8 months ?
    Apart from brake pads , chain+ cassette it should still be good to go , the BB should be ok for a while yet too.Tyres + inner tubes should be good for a while yet.
    I reckon on a cassette ,chain + 2 sets of pads a year , my last BB lasted a couple of years .

3. LosingFocus

LosingFocus Lost it, got it again.

Hey.

£300?
    1) Decathlon Triban 3
    2) Halfords Carrera TDF/Virtuoso (maybe, if in budget)
    3) S/hand bargain

4. Mr Finch

Mr Finch Regular

There's another thread running right now about the Triban 3. Seems to be an excellent bike. I am saving for one. Just a shame it's red... ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Boopop

Boopop Über Member

Turns out the largest Virtuoso model is too small for me :sad: I like to buy my bikes in person which puts the Triban 3 out of the running, so I'm thinking I might get the TDF in a month or so when my savings are looking a bit healthier.

Thanks for the help everyone!

6. cyberknight

cyberknight Wibble

Lanky then ? the medium is on thelarge size for me .

7. OT, you've been unlucky or overcharged with your Ridgeback. My rear rim on my Ridgeback Velocity failed at circa 6,000miles (£55) I've had about 4 or 5 new cassettes/chains (circa £100) and probably the same number of pads (circa £50) and after 8,500mile had to replace the rear tyre (£13), I've replaced the cables outer once and the inners a few times (circa £10). About £228 in 5 years.

8. OP
    OP
    Boopop

Boopop Über Member

Just to clear things up, I've had my bike since about 2010 I think, riding it leisurely, more often in the Summer of course. I just made the point about commuting as only now is it getting used regularly. Still, I imagine I've done at least a thousand miles or so before I started commuting.

Think I might go for the TDF next month. Also the Halfords three year care plan looks like a good deal, anyone have any experience?

9. jim55

jim55 Über Member

er,,DO NOT use halfords for servicing and stuff !!!!prob a few good branches but unless you know it personally id find a lbs and stick with them ,by all means buy from halfords if u want ,but its assembly and service im talking about

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice