First duathlon advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun Robinson

Hi all
I'm due to do my first duathlon on Tuesday 1st of April , it's only a short ish one 5k 20k 5k , my question is , is it worth putting flat pedals on my road bike to save time is transitions , ok I'm not out to win but i think this would save me 2
Minutes as not got pull cord on my trainers or triathlon cycle shoes, any thoughts ?
Or experience be apprietiated :smile:,

My estimated I'm hoping for is 1hr 20 minutes :smile:

:welcome: to CC :cheers:

TBH I've never done a Duathlon, but if I did, (and TBH I just might one day), I'd stick to what I was used to.

Like you say you're not in it to win it, so a couple of minutes here or there won't make any difference.

Good luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

:welcome: to CC :cheers:

TBH I've never done a Duathlon, but if I did, (and TBH I just might one day), I'd stick to what I was used to.

Like you say you're not in it to win it, so a couple of minutes here or there won't make any difference.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Would rather have the 2 minutes in my favour though just wondering if it would save time seeing as it's such a short race :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
4.5km fell run, 29km ride, 7.5km road run. It's my first too, so just gonna see how it goes. Will be using my regular clipless cycling shoes - can't really imagine riding with flat pedals any more.

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

4.5km fell run, 29km ride, 7.5km road run. It's my first too, so just gonna see how it goes. Will be using my regular clipless cycling shoes - can't really imagine riding with flat pedals any more.
I have several bikes MTB and fixie both have flat pedals so I'll be ok with them but both road bikes have SPD SL fitted , that's an odd duathlon good luck and let me know how you do, you got a time your aiming for ?

jack smith

Veteran
if your used to cleats you may find them way more comftorable and easier to ride in, also rememebr they are alot more efficient, it dosent take too much time to switch shoes quickly, i personally cant ride on flat pedals anymore i feel like im going to fall off lol

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

if your used to cleats you may find them way more comftorable and easier to ride in, also rememebr they are alot more efficient, it dosent take too much time to switch shoes quickly, i personally cant ride on flat pedals anymore i feel like im going to fall off lol

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

I know they are more efficient will they gain me 2 minutes over 20k though ? , but know what you mean when I go on MTB my feet are all over the shop for first few miles ;)

jack smith

Veteran
your legs might not be used to high speeds and cadence without being clipped in and you nay find your using your muscles differently causing more fatigue, as you will only be pushing down not pedaling in circles :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have several bikes MTB and fixie both have flat pedals so I'll be ok with them but both road bikes have SPD SL fitted , that's an odd duathlon good luck and let me know how you do, you got a time your aiming for ?
Didn't have a time to aim for; it's not a standard duathlon so no benchmark really. I did want to finish closer to the top of the rankings than the bottom, and this I achieved, mainly due to a belting ride which I'm really rather proud of ^_^. It was definitely worth wearing my cycling shoes. The 20 seconds (at most, nothing like 2 minutes) it took to change shoes was more than made up for by having them on for the ride.

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

Didn't have a time to aim for; it's not a standard duathlon so no benchmark really. I did want to finish closer to the top of the rankings than the bottom, and this I achieved, mainly due to a belting ride which I'm really rather proud of ^_^. It was definitely worth wearing my cycling shoes. The 20 seconds (at most, nothing like 2 minutes) it took to change shoes was more than made up for by having them on for the ride.
Ok cool I'll wear the cycle shoes then saves me changing my pedals :smile: what time did you do on your ride ?

Top Bottom