First duathlon advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yeah, pretty much. If you're wearing padded shorts, a thin pad will be easier to run in. I wore running tights with thin padded undershorts. Cycling jersey is handy as you can take your bike gloves off whilst running and stow them in the back pockets. Good for carrying a couple of gels, too.

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

Cheers winJim my race is shorter than yours just putting half bottle of juice on bike shouldn't have time for jels ;)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well good luck, make sure you fuel up today and have a good breakfast tomorrow. Early night tonight and I would recommend getting all your stuff ready this evening so you're not flapping tomorrow. Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

Happy with result went with clip pedals in the end transitions were crap to be expected , second run wAs 3.5km not 5km like stated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 101

winjim

Smash the cistern
8 / 22 finishers? You must be pretty chuffed with that. Especially considering that a lot of the competition seem to be members of tri clubs. Well done :thumbsup:
Any more planned?

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

8 / 22 finishers? You must be pretty chuffed with that. Especially considering that a lot of the competition seem to be members of tri clubs. Well done :thumbsup:
Any more planned?
Yeah will definetly do more loved it, they do them once a month at that venue and yes very happy with result :smile:

Cracking result there Shaun, can I ask how did you train for this? was there any specific training plan or books that you would recommend? I have my first Duathlon in October this year and coming from almost nothing back to full bike fitness and running, just bought myself a Garmin 910XT as I'm hoping after 2-3 Duathlons I can train for half iron man in a couple of years! I was going to buy the book Time Crunched Triathlete.

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

Hi 333
I had no plan really I'm just getting into cycling alot and wanted to improve my cardio so decided to start running too , started to get a few regular routes no further than 5k and within a months my times were improving massively , so decided I would try a duathlon, I would say your best bet would be to join a triathlon club :smile:

Fair play mate you did very well! I've bought a couple of books Time Crunched Triathlete and training plans for multisport athletes going to start the time crunched 8 hours a week plan aiming at sprint distance for Octobers first attempt I'll let you know how it
goes! Any recommendations on what shorts to wear for the two 5k runs and 20k bike? Can you run in cycling shorts? I've honestly never tried!

OP
OP
Shaun Robinson

Shaun Robinson

Fair play mate you did very well! I've bought a couple of books Time Crunched Triathlete and training plans for multisport athletes going to start the time crunched 8 hours a week plan aiming at sprint distance for Octobers first attempt I'll let you know how it
goes! Any recommendations on what shorts to wear for the two 5k runs and 20k bike? Can you run in cycling shorts? I've honestly never tried!
Yes I wore cycle shorts and think most people did don't think I could ride my bike without padding now doubt I would be able to run after lol :smile:

Top Bottom