First Duathlon on 1st August - EEK!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys

I have been brave and pencilled in my first Duathlon at Gravesend Cyclopark on 1st August. These happen on the first Tuesday of every month - for those who are interested! In addition, it is run alongside the standard triathlon as well.

The format is:

RUN - 2.5KM
CYCLE - 15KM
RUN - 2.2KM

Its an entry level, so I know I can already do the distance, its just getting my times down. I am hoping I can get some practice in with @ianrauk and @Salty seadog - despite not having a road bike, I am able to compete on my trusty hybrid!

My first time in the gym doing this equalled these times:

22:13 - 2.5km Run
36:22 - 15km Bike
22:10 - 2.2km Run.

I am going tonight to have another go, I will use this thread to show my progress!! EEEK!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Best of luck Charlotte.. You'll nail it. Looking forward to seeing your progress and results.

steverob

Guru
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

I did my first ever 5K as part of a duathlon - I was in a relay team and was supposed to only do the cycling leg (20km), but the person doing the first run was involved in an accident a few days before and couldn't compete, so I foolishly said that I'd do legs 1 & 2 despite my longest run ever at the time being just over 2 miles!

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Ok so last night.....ended up at the gym later than I wanted. Stuff happened at home plus I had terrible acid reflux which made me feel really nasty.

I got to the gym at 9pm. Was half way through my run and felt really bad...like a nasty burning lump in my throat wouldn't go away...however...I persevered. Did my cycle. Then my run.

22.10 - 2.5km Run (3 seconds faster)
36.53 - 15km Bike (31 seconds slower)
21.20 - 2.2km Run (50 seconds FASTER!)

I'm obviously most happy with my last run....I'm just glad I stuck with it and I loaded up on gaviscon when I got home! I ended up leaving the gym around 10:30pm!

Good on you Charlotte for taking this on . I'm sure you'll be fine on the day . All the best . You go girl !!!!!!

My Real World Stats:

29th July 2017 - Victoria Park, Ashford.
Run 2.5km - 19:55
Cycle 15km - 43:58
Run 2.2km - 19:27

I was super pleased I did it, my cycle time was slower, but this was due to kids, dogs and other cyclists - plus a big hill I had to do like 6.5 times!
Impressive stuff Charlotte ...i feel tired just reading those times...keep it up.

My Real World Stats:

29th July 2017 - Victoria Park, Ashford.
Run 2.5km - 19:55
Cycle 15km - 43:58
Run 2.2km - 19:27

I was super pleased I did it, my cycle time was slower, but this was due to kids, dogs and other cyclists - plus a big hill I had to do like 6.5 times!

Well done, Charlotte, a wonderful performance, especially, as you know how well you've judged your performance to be two weeks ahead of the quoted date;)

I've not done one, but a couple of years ago, Angie, a friend of mine was a National Duathlon champion in her age-group (40-44), for whatever association/federation organised it
Thus, I know how hard it is, to get good at the two sports, & particularly the transition
(her other half's presently got a National age-group sprint-triathlon title too, so Angie's got a damned good trainer!!)

Top Bottom