First Duathlon on 1st August - EEK!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
But thanks for the tip off ;-)

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well I am a little more scared now, I realised I have been looking at the wrong results and the 1st female is around 2 or 3 minutes quicker than I on each sector :-(

Tin Pot

Guru
I was sixth from last at my first triathlon, I'm weirdly proud of that. The finish line is always good fun wherever you place, imho.

Don't forget your bike helmet like I did.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I know - thanks a lot guys! I will have mum there so that's good! I will try and pace myself, I do canicross with my dog and a lot of that is about pace. Just to complete it will be fun - they sound like a great group of people, very supportive!

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
So guys.....I DID IT!!

I am so proud of myself, I get there and it's all very professional but fun. And there's me with no spandex or road bike but with my trusty old hybrid bike.

I registered and the organisers let me ride around to get my bearings. There was a strong headwind and sidewind pretty much all the way round and two small inclines and a long incline drag to the lap line. So slightly more challenging than my practice venue.

The run was good. Everyone took off and I slowly saw them disappear intp the distance but I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up from the start so I just concentrated on me and my goal.

I then hopped onto the bike (I got a good tip as i had left it in 5th gear and going into an immediate incline in 5th was not fun...so I wound it to 3rd before starting the race...much better!)

As I said above. The cycling was tough but after the 3rd lap I picked up the pace. My mum came with me and was great support. Every lap she was cheering me on.

I got to the 6th lap and I pulled the bike in and ran my final 2.2k sector. By this point it was around 830pm and I was feeling the ache and fatigue set in. I kept going until 2km where I had to stop for around 10 seconds because I had a horrific stitch which I ended up stretching out as I ran.

I crossed the finish line and a few people cheered as they knew I was new etc. The atmosphere was great. I loved it.

Here are my split times.
2.5k run- 18:24
15km bike- 46.07
2.2km run - 18.57.

I can't really compare these times to my practises as the track was completely different

I'm hoping to borrow my cousin's cyclo-cross bike for the next one in September and get up there a few times with it in the meantime.

To use the track is £5.50 and I couldn't see a limit on how long you can be on there so that seems a pretty good price.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Here's my bike set up!

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_213349_802.jpg
    IMG_20170801_213349_802.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 112
Top Bottom