First ever Puncture...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

How lucky am i ??
Only my second trip out on my new Road bike, first was about 13 miles on Friday morning then a 25 miler this morning with a good friend, BUT....... 12 miles in & pop....& it was the rear !!
To be honest i was clueless, i've watched tyres get repaired or innertubes replaced on Youtube etc but i've never done it, anyway i was bloody pleased i was with my very experienced cycling mate who stepped in & basically did it for me while i took notes & watched intently....i did have all the equipment in my defence ha ha, after it was sorted & i pumped my mini pump furiously to get it nice n hard (ooh er mrs) it was fine again.
Actually in hindsight i'm quite pleased it happend today while i was out with someone else as most of the time i'm on my own .
So.....as you can imagine, my next & very immediate upgrage is my tyres :laugh:

Rob500

Good that you had an experienced buddy with you this time WobblyBob. If you get a chance when you are at home then practice those tube changes. It'll prove valuable.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Yep, i think that is a sensible suggestion.....something i've been telling myself to do for ages, but obviously never got round to it :blush:

My buddy said he swears by 'Gatorskins' & has used them on his road bike for the past 2 years without any problems....does that sound like most peoples experience of them ?

grimpeur

Veteran
Think brand and model of tyre is less important in preventing flats than the pressure you run your tyres at. Most people have them way too soft...

Biker Joe

Über Member
There you go! Lesson well learnt. Nothing like a practical situation to learn a new skill.:rolleyes:
Go to " Search Forum" and enter "tyres" and see a range of comments that other riders make about tyres.
"Gatorskins" are high on the list.
I prefer 'Vittoria Rubino Pro.:thumbsup:
It's almost as bad as asking what saddle to use.^_^

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Dreading getting my first one too. Hybrid I have been using has what seems pretty tough Schwalbe Silento tyres so has been great. Expecting delivery of a Forme Longcliffe soon which just comes with Schwalbe Lugano and I am already worrying a bit that I am going to puncture and struggle to repair it, especially in this horrible weather. Really must start practising so it becomes second nature and nothing to worry about.

Glad you had your friend with you to let you see how it is done and got on your way again quickly.

Grayduff

Über Member
+1 for first puncture yesterday also, as luck ? would have it , it happened outside my cycling buddies house, popped into the garage and changed the tube in a flash !!!!...not really took a while and as wobblybob said had watched all the you tube videos and gained info from here..

DTD

Veteran
Yep practice at home first.
I struggle with getting tyres on and off as I have damaged nerves in my hands so don't have a vast amount of strength in them. That said whenever I've been fixing one by the roadside some passing cyclist has asked if I needed help.

I think cycling can give you a good sense of self-sufficiency. I remember being slightly lost just North of nowhere with a puncture, and thinking "just fix it and find out where you are, because no one else is here to do it for you". Panic put to one side and I got myself home.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I got a couple yesterday, which brings my tally for the last month to about eight, and yet I still feel totally cack-handed when changing inner tubes (I fix the tube once I get home).

Yesterday it took someone I was riding with to point out that if I put my gloves back on the co2 cannister would be less likely to burn off my skin :smile:

Top Bottom