First ever sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mwktar

Über Member
Hi guys, have my first ever sportive a week Sunday with Evans (90 miles in Cotswolds) and the nerves are really settling in!

Most I've ever ridden is 55 - although I do ride a
Lot during the week. I wanted to get a good ride in tomorrow but work has called me in meaning its unlikely I'm going to get in a proper ride (50+) before hand

I'm fairly confident as the sportive is flat(ish) and all of my rides are around Merthyr Tydfil/Brecon way so 50 here is 50 of hills :smile:

Anyway enough blabbering! A lot of you have been in my position before, and I was wondering if there was any advice you could give? Maybe stuff that upon completing your first sportive you though "well I wish of thought of that"

Thanks in advance

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As you say a hilly 50 is tougher than a flattish 100 . You will do it easy.The excitement of the event will give you a boost to your performance.

Give yourself a few days rest before the event eat and drink lots.

Check everything on the bike. Gear and brake cables can let you down, any doubt change them now.

If its a staggered start try and get an early start, as faster groups pass you you can drop in behind and get in their slipstream for a bit if you get left behind keep going and wait for the next group to arrive,
At the end of the day its not really a race so just enjoy the day.

OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
Cheers for the feedback butty - one thing I've been thinking about is my pre diet as I've been on a paleo diet for a while - should I ditch before the ride?-

Top Bottom