First Fixed Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Today I decided that the time was right for me to finally commute in on the Mango. 6.7 miles in 38 minutes. Not my longest ride on fixed or my fastest but I wanted to stay off the roads as much as possible so went the long way round. It was a very pleasant ride. I'm now looking forward to the ride home.

If I'd only done this a few months ago I could've been riding fixed all summer (such as it was)!

Lonestar

Veteran
Congrats mate.Fixed is a great way to go.No faffing about with gears.Been doing it for the last five years after an earlier stint in the mid 1990's.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The only reason I haven't done it before is there are some hills, not very long and only 10% - 15%, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get up them so I gave myself some extra time. I didn't need to worry. The one that does bother me is the one right at the start of my journey home but I'm sure I'll cope.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
That's road bike speed for me! lol

I deliberately went a longer, slower route this morning so my legs were nicely warmed up by the time I had to tackle a hill. Going home the first thing I have to do is tackle a short 10% climb. That doesn't sound too bad but at the end of the day when I'm tired and my legs aren't at their best yet it can be quite tough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's road bike speed for me! lol.

Looks out of window, yep it's a road bike with one gear.

I have a long climb shortly after leaving the house, does make for a nice warm down coming home. One of the hills is named Devils hill in Strava. Add in a set of light halfway up on fixed. ...

Top Bottom