First fly of 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

I'm taking extra calaries on my ride now - or at least I did today. The first of, I'm sure many, flies found it's way down my throat today :tongue:

BTW, how many calaries are there in a small fly?

adds21

Rider of bikes
I've had my fair share this year already :tongue:

Last weekend, I ate an especially flavoursome fly. Tasted just like cow poo. Not nice.

Aye, I noticed the sudden increase in flys over the last few days. Part of my commute is rural, and I'm finding when I pass horse/cows/sheep etc there is often a swarm of flys nearby.

Lesson 46: close mouth when passing farm animals!:tongue:

djb1971

Legendary Member
The worst ones are those big black things with legs that dangle down, they hang around water and farms like hoodies. They hurt when they hit you but are big enough to cough back up and spit out if swallowed :smile:

adds21

Rider of bikes
This may be a suitable thread to ask a question I was thinking about the other day...

After riding my motorbike in the summer, I'm forever scraping swashed flies off my visor and jacket, and obviously the front of the car is always covered with flattened flies. I'm wondering what the "squash velocity" of flies is? (I guess it varies with the mass of the fly?). I've never noticed squashed flies on the glasses I wear on the bicycle, dispite going though a swarm of the little buggers at over 30.

Funny the things you think about when your mind wanders on the bike.

Top Bottom