First Horse

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by BSRU, 17 Jul 2012.

1. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

For the very first time ever in my short commuting history I came upon a horse being led along the road.

Took it very slowly, waited behind for a while until the horse was completely aware of my presence then eased past a couple of kph faster than the horse.

The person leading the horse had positioned themselves so that they were closest to the kerb/verge, which meant when they looked behind their vision was obscured by the horse.

2. I've started giving the rider a shout from a reasonable distance off so they are aware of my approach and have time to sort themselves and the horse out. Summat along the lines of "cyclist approaching/passing on the right" fits the bill and, as you've said, make the passing speed not too much higher than that of the equine and mount.

3. Definitely call out\talk so that the horse knows that it is a person coming along and not a strange new predator.

4. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

If I'm approaching a horse an rider from the rear I normally just say "Good Morning/ Afternoon" before I've got too close and loud enough to be heard, but not that loud I spook the horse, then I will pass slow and wide.

5. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Did I mention horses, especially naive country horses, really don't like my bike?

tongskie01 likes this.
  6. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Neigh.

BentMikey, lozcs and Hawk like this.
  7. Melonfish

Melonfish Evil Genius in training.

i shout "Cyclist right" i regularly pass horses and i always slow down and always shout to let em know i'm there. haven't had one bolt yet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice