first impressions on bents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I agree with those headwind comments! You'll feel guilty, though, about not being able to take your turn pulling your buddies on their DFs. You can draft them, but it does them no good to try to draft you.
You'll also notice a difference when you ride about 70 miles, and you get off and NOTHING HURTS! Hands don't go numb, neck doesn't hurt...nothing! You'll feel sorry for your buddies when you see them dangle a hand by their side, shaking it, trying to get the circulation going. You'll sympathise with them, because it will remind you of how it used to feel.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cunobelin said:
I am NOT a fat rider, but my CAtrike is faster than my Street MAchine, Airnimal or Hurricane!

Really? Is that purely because of the fairing? I have a hunch that would no longer be the case on a very hilly ride when compared with a light weight two-wheeled bent.

Impressed you tried 'bents, bonj. Quite a bit of what you wrote seems familiar to me from when I started.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Would I be right in thinking that if you switched from a mid-height bent like a Street Machine to a bent trike (obviously much lower) that the resultant muscle adaptation would be minimal?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Andy in Sig said:
Would I be right in thinking that if you switched from a mid-height bent like a Street Machine to a bent trike (obviously much lower) that the resultant muscle adaptation would be minimal?
Are you thinking of coming over to the dark (3-wheeled) side? :biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've been toying with it for a while. Apart from not having the cash at the moment the only thing which is holding me back is the worry that it might be so much fun that I might not want to ride my Street Machine any more, much like I don't want to ride my normal bike now.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I would have thought it's different fun, though, and that in many cases a 2-wheeler is more fun than a 3. I imagine a 2-wheeler is easier to live with if you're trying to get it on and off trains and through narrow gaps etc. I would have thought if you got a trike you'd still have a lot of use for your Street Machine on occasions when the trike is less suitable. On the other hand, in winter on slippery roads with wet leaves and rain the trike is such fun as it's so safe :biggrin:

Andy in Sig said:
I've been toying with it for a while. Apart from not having the cash at the moment the only thing which is holding me back is the worry that it might be so much fun that I might not want to ride my Street Machine any more, much like I don't want to ride my normal bike now.

I have three recumbents and the rides are different, but unique -

Street Machine, solid, load carrying and tours as it will travel by train and fit into hotel rooms, pub cellars and the likes.

Hurricane, fast , nippier, more exciting to ride, but does not cary luggage as well

Catrike - best of the lot, fast, nimble, stable and exciting - but does not go on trains and is more difficult to securely park overnight when away.

You simply have the benefit of choice when you feel like it....

squeaker

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
IME it's the seat angle and relative BB to seat base heights that your muscles worry about.
Your brain just has to get used to being able to see under 4x4's....;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Interesting stuff - speed isn't the big deal for me, so I've never thought about whether I'm faster - I know I am downhill though, because I feel so much safer on three wheels just letting it go.... For me the real boon is comfort, the stability of the trike and (ever so slightly) enjoying people's reaction. I wish I could store the trike at home and use it everyday, but not having a shed or garage at the flat, I can't. Poor thing is a bit neglected.

I guess you'd (I mean anyone, not just bonj) never get a full impression in a day or so. Imagine the first few days when you learned to ride a 'normal' bike, it was strange and there was a steep learning curve...

fards

Well I know I've never done 43mph on the flat on any of my road bikes, like I can do on the wyre, so I'd say theres a huge speed difference..

the hurri isn't about speed, it's not really designed for that sproty yes, fast no. Much in the same what a dutch city bike isn't going to be as fast as an carbon TT machine, it's a bit daft saying that recumbents aren't as fast as you thought, when you haven't tried something quick.
Maybe bonj you could do with trying some faster machines..

We're happy to let you play with some at BHPC races when you fancy.

Not all recumbents are built the same :tongue:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

fards said:
Well I know I've never done 43mph on the flat on any of my road bikes, like I can do on the wyre, so I'd say theres a huge speed difference..

the hurri isn't about speed, it's not really designed for that sproty yes, fast no. Much in the same what a dutch city bike isn't going to be as fast as an carbon TT machine, it's a bit daft saying that recumbents aren't as fast as you thought, when you haven't tried something quick.
Maybe bonj you could do with trying some faster machines..

We're happy to let you play with some at BHPC races when you fancy.

Not all recumbents are built the same :biggrin:

yeah, I did think that aswell. But correct me if i'm wrong, but my perception is that they're even harder to ride than a hurricane...
and I'm not really sure i'd want to go the full fairing route either - too heavy on the uphills, only really any good for the track imho.

byegad

Legendary Member
If I can chip in, a hurricane is easy to ride, once you've got the balance sorted. You can say that about any bike.

The old, Big wheel, Ordinary riders said it about the safety bicycle when it came out.

Don't confuse learning to ride a bike with being able to ride a bike. It took me about 400 miles to get confidence on my Azub and that was with an undiagnosed and worsening Vertigo problem. Most riders are happy in less mileage than I took.

andharwheel

Some good points. My Hurricane can be fast on the flat, but not as fast as my Cannondale road bike with tri bars. You shouldnt expect it to be. I can average 23mph during a time trial, but have never managed that average on my Hurri. Thats why my next bent is going to a carbon lowracer with/ without tailbox. Horses for courses.

Arch

Married to Night Train
andharwheel said:
Some good points. My Hurricane can be fast on the flat, but not as fast as my Cannondale road bike with tri bars. You shouldnt expect it to be. I can average 23mph during a time trial, but have never managed that average on my Hurri. Thats why my next bent is going to a carbon lowracer with/ without tailbox. Horses for courses.

Sorry, for a moment I skim read that last line as "with a horse box".....:laugh:

Top Bottom