first impressions on bents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I've actually gone to a shop and had a go on a load of different recumbents, and my initial thoughts are:
* they're not that much faster than uprights
* USS ones seem a LOT easier to handle - not what i expected
* ASS ones are *very* twitchy and difficult to corner on
* they are comfortable, quite good fun, and very intriguing
* trikes are good fun round corners, but seem quite a bit slower on the flat, even though in fact are probably only a tiny bit slower.
* I'm not sure I'd want to go out and spend a four figure sum on one
* although I am intrigued to ride one again.

To expand on the speed perception: in fact they didn't even seem as fast, on the flat, but I make a certain allowance for developing different muscle groups. What's more the two wheelers seem faster than the trikes, even though they're probably not that much at all. That may have been just 'cos it felt 'less safe', I don't know - but i was expecting the closeness to the ground to result in a feeling of greater speed, but it didn't appear to.
When I rode a pretty much fully recumbent under-seat steering one, i found it quite manageable round corners. But an above seat steering one (a challenge hurricane) of about the same level of recumbent-ness- woah! Tricky. I kept having to try and consciously decide what percentage to actually turn the bars and what percentage to try and bank it - I sense that's something that should come naturally and that's the learning curve, but it definitely is a big learning curve. Big, though whether steep, or not - I can't really tell yet - which is something i probably need to glean next.

I think for me, riding a trike would be the equivalent of downhill MTBing - you basically do it *just* for the descents, and everything else is work that's basically done to get you to the top of the hill. I dont' think they're good enough as all-rounders for me to get one.

So in summary, really: (a) I'm glad I have tried them out. So if nothing else my comments on them won't be able to be batted down with 'but you haven't ever ridden one' ! :rolleyes::biggrin: , and (B) although i wasn't completely disappointed in what they might have to offer what i want out of cycling, they didn't 'wow' me like I thought they might.

I think the only one that I could probably enjoy using regularly and not just use a few times and then stick in the garage or sell again, would be one similar to the challenge hurricane. I think that if i got one then once i developed the muscle groups to get it up to speed then the speed that I would be able to maintain would possibly be slightly higher. I've no doubt that I would be perfectly capable of learning to ride it to an acceptable degree for a spin round the lanes. However, what I haven't decided yet is whether the time investment in the learning curve of riding it to a good degree, would be worth the increased fun associated with that, such as riding fast bends, downhill etc. What's the learning curve like - does it just 'click', suddenly? Or do you just get better gradually :wacko:
I thought the fujin looked my ideal 'bent, so I'm glad i didn't go and buy one as that's even more difficult than the hurricane to ride - however if i was getting a bent at all i'd be more likely to get a cheap used one as my first one and then move on when i had mastered it, if i wanted to.

I wouldn't consider myself as in the market for one, like i thought i would be, although I do think that sometime i might have a bash at riding a fully recumbent ASS one for a few miles on a proper ride to see just how difficult I think it's going to be to learn.

betty swollocks

large member
Hurricanes are not difficult to ride, you just need a bit of practise. And even though mine is a bit heavier than my road bikes, it is considerably quicker: about 15% so I'd say.
Here's me on my Hurricane.

byegad

Legendary Member
First impressions can be wrong. My trike average speeds for a regular route I take are much the same as the averages I was getting on my DFs a couple of years ago. It took about a year for this to be true so your impressions re muscle groups are correct.

squeaker

Über Member
FWIW, I find my 'bent bike (OSS Grasshopper) about 10% faster overall than my trike (Trice 'S').
Also IME:
- Muscle groups definitely do need retraining.
- The more reclined and closer to the ground you are the more 'different' the riding experience is (which mucks up all you do instinctively on a DF bike - in my case from 50+ years experience): it look me about 500 miles before I felt comfortable just getting on an pedalling off - definitely a progression: no sudden switch moment for me. Practicing figure of eights and (steep) hill starts on quiet roads helped a lot to gain confidence.
- Some are definitely more 'lively' than others: the OSS Mistral I had was definitely a bit more twitchy at low speed than my Grasshopper, but a (lower) Baron I tried was really smooth.
As for speed, Kreuzotter is worth a play with :evil:
Can't comment on Hurricanes, other than to say that there are several different iterations (sport, touring, superlight, etc.) which doubtless have their own quirks, but a S/H one would seem to be a good intro into the recumbent bike world.
Have fun!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hi Bonj, it was interesting to read your comments, many thanks!

I know that my husband found when switching from a bog-standard mountain bike with road tyres to his second-hand trice that he averaged about 2mph faster. He hadn't done a great deal of cycling before he made the switch and so I suppose none of his muscles were particularly trained, thus the recumbent didn't feel as different muscle-wise. Of course, things can be very different for different people, as we know, and I am of the opinion that what suits someone/works best for them may not be the best for someone else. Sounds like for you the investment in a recumbent might not be worthwhile, but it might be worth trying to get hold of an old one and using it a bit more just to see if the muscle training does make a difference over time.

dodgy

Nice summary there, Bonj. I had a brief 2 or 3 week flirtation with a Windcheetah Speedy in the early summer. I sold it because it wasn't as fast as I was anticipating (I too, had made allowances on muscle adaption etc). Nothing lost and I'm glad I had a go, I also sold it for a nice £250 profit ;)
I still think they're fine pieces of engineering, but I wouldn't buy one for their speed alone.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

yeah.
* I don't mean I think trikes ARE slower than normal bikes, I just thought they *seemed* slower, or at least certainly no faster.

* I would probably buy a second hand 'bent of the sort of hurricane-ish style, if there was one going cheap, but I don't think I'd spend a lot on one.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The leg muscle re-training is probably the biggest hurdle to overcome with 'bents.
It was only after a few weeks of riding my trike that I found my speeds increased, I had been very disappointed up until then thinking I wasn't as fit as I could be as my legs couldn't give the same kind of power as they would with my DF.;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I agree with tdr1nka about the leg muscles but the knack of riding them does come very quickly indeed.

So Bonjy, the time has come for you to stop fannying around, get your credit card out and drive off on a HPV Street Machine. You know it makes sense.

Great post Bonj, I haven't done enough mileage on my Speedy yet so it still feels sluggish but twenty years ago in the days when I did have recumbent legs my old Speedy was much faster than my road bike.

Get one with a full body shell, then you'll really shift!

Enjoyed reading your observations Bonj. My experience (I'm now a year down the recumbent road) was that muscle adaptation takes 500 - 100 miles of riding. It took about nine months of regular use before riding one approached the DF levels of intuitiveness. Not surprising as I had 40 years on DF's. Speed has never been a major issue for me but my fuego is at least the equivalent of my audax bike. Most things I read tend, IMO, to underplay the length of the learning curve. I'll let you know how I get on with my newly acquired Trice Q once it is built :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
mickle said:
Great post Bonj, I haven't done enough mileage on my Speedy yet so it still feels sluggish but twenty years ago in the days when I did have recumbent legs my old Speedy was much faster than my road bike.

Get one with a full body shell, then you'll really shift!

F**k Me! Talk about "Lines one seldom reads"!:birthday::biggrin::biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
xpc316e said:
Before you dismiss 'bents, you ought to try riding one into a sustained headwind for a while - for me they really shine in this area.

Oh YES!! Was beautiful on this morning's commute, wind, what wind? There's no wind down here.

I am NOT a fat rider, but my CAtrike is faster than my Street MAchine, Airnimal or Hurricane!

PB120148.jpg

Top Bottom