First incident with a driver!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Enough speculation.

OP: you did the right thing reporting him to the police. They have the report on file now. If requested, they will pay him a visit. If he does anything again, and again they take the matter increasingly seriously.

I had a similar incident with a taxi driver a year or so ago which ended with me calling the police very shaken.

An officer turned up at my flat the next day, took a statement, was very sympathetic, said he'd established the identity of the driver with the help of the taxi firm and was then going to visit the driver to remind him of his duties under the highway code.

Speculating myself of course, but I'd like to imagine he thus then received a bollocking from the officer, then his wife for doing something that made a policeman turn up at their house, then his employer.

I'm getting a bit sick of people on here trying to dissuade people from taking action against offensive drivers saying that nothing will come of it. The only way you can guarantee nothing coming of it is if you do nothing. And then next time the bugger kills someone.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm getting a bit sick of people on here trying to dissuade people from taking action against offensive drivers saying that nothing will come of it. The only way you can guarantee nothing coming of it is if you do nothing. And then next time the bugger kills someone.
Nobody did that in this thread. I've rarely seen it expressed on CC though no doubt you could find some occasions. I think nearly everybody is with you that reporting is important. Indeed a public duty and I, like most others, are guilty of not doing enough.

We have enough conflict without inventing more ...

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

Thanks for all the input guys. An officer is coming at 2pm today to take a statement and I am hoping they will pay him a visit and warm him.

I do realise that I can't react to/report everything but I felt I had to report this. If we report things then at least some of the people might improve their driving and actually respect vulnerable road users. If we don't report anything then no difference would be made.

I just started road cycling at the start of the month and I admit to not being very thick skinned when it comes to this but in future I might just give them a wave and smile or not do anything at all.

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for all the input guys. An officer is coming at 2pm today to take a statement and I am hoping they will pay him a visit and warm him.

I do realise that I can't react to/report everything but I felt I had to report this. If we report things then at least some of the people might improve their driving and actually respect vulnerable road users. If we don't report anything then no difference would be made.

I just started road cycling at the start of the month and I admit to not being very thick skinned when it comes to this but in future I might just give them a wave and smile or not do anything at all.

Remember taxi drivers are "professional" drivers and in theory should drive at a standard higher than a normal motorist.

StuartG

slower but further
Remember taxi drivers are "professional" drivers and in theory should drive at a standard higher than a normal motorist.
And may well do so. I understand a damaged cab (in London) means you are off the road. You are temporarily out of a job. Cabbies don't like that. They try mighty hard to avoid damage and can be less than forgiving when they perceive another road user is looking to make a dent.

I spent the weekend riding with a cab driver and I had training from another was also a Bikeability instructor. Better than average cyclist too.

My motto is never get between a cabbie and his fare. He is going to be using his skill to get as many fares and to their destinations as quickly as possible. That's the system we have on our roads. We shouldn't be surprised that brings us into conflict. That may be a bigger problem than the antics of a bad taxi driver on a bad day.

Be careful how you label them when we can so easy blame them for labelling us as £*&%^&*(

BSRU

A Human Being
Be careful how you label them when we can so easy blame them for labelling us as £*&%^&*(

I haven't labelled them at all, it's actually taken from the local council website about what is expected of taxi drivers. They are expected to drive at a standard above the average motorist.

Bicycle

I understand a damaged cab (in London) means you are off the road. You are temporarily out of a job. Cabbies don't like that.

Quite right on the bodywork damage. That applies to LTDA, which doesn't cover minicabs.

I don't know the rules for minicabs, but my guess is they're not as strict.

Although I was once pitched over the bonnet of an LTDA driver on Oxford Street (illegal U-Turn, 2 witnesses and 6 points) they are nearly all of a high standard and StuartG is quite right.

If they have bodywork damage (even a defective light) they're off the road until it's fixed.

And whatever some cynics say, their knowledge of the roads of London is a thing to marvel at.

As a former motorcycle courier, I have sworn a solemn oath to detest cabbies for ever, but underneath the enmity lies a reluctant respect for their knowledge and skill.

:wacko:

Davidc

Guru
Quite right to report it, don't expect miracles but if there are a number of reports it will get raised when his licence comes up and he'll have to take notice.

In my experience most taxi drivers are rather impatient but nonetheless competent. There are a few though who are awful. It's only by reporting them that any action will ever happen.

OP
OP
Danny251

Danny251

Police came to my house yesterday and were very adamant I that I was right to report this.
I opted to not make a statement and requested that they visit him and have a wee word. I hope I get a phone call back.

Top Bottom