First live gigs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Beatles (supported by The Yardbirds), Hammersmith Odeon in about 1965. I was only eleven and was given a ticket by my best friend's teenage sisters. I didn't hear a single note of the Beatles due to the hysterical screams of the highly excited, almost entirely female audience. My friend's sisters managed to meet the band in their dressing room afterwards and came away with an empty Coke bottle that had actually touched the lips of Paul McCartney. It was treated like a holy relic.:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My first gig was with mummy and daddy to see Cilla and a few other 'artistes' of the era... circa 1964

First proper gig was Jethro Tull, then Edgar Broughton, Taste, Quintessence, Cream at subsequent gigs. mainly at the Marquee, Lyceum all- nighters and Hyde Park free concerts.

Reactions: GM

MarkF

Guru
Not sure, it would have either been Adam and the Antz or Gruppo (Beep Beep Love) Sportivo, saw both early 1979 in Bradford.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mordred (US metal band), Marquee Club (then in Charing Cross Road), May 26 1991. Cracking show, eventually saw them for a second time in August 2014 (they'd disbanded for most of the intervening period), and they were just as good. Second show was pretty damn good too- Anthrax & Public Enemy co-headlining Brixton Academy.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Stiff Little Fingers, Oxford Apollo 1978 ....they were supporting Tom Robinson Band, which I can't say I was over impressed with.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My first gig should have been Jimi Hendrix at the Imperial Hotel in Darlington in 1967 but my parents thought that I was too young at nine years old to be taken by my cousin to see him. :cry:

I had to wait until 1973 before I got to see a gig - Deep Purple supported by Nazareth in Newcastle City Hall.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Anti Nazi League / Rock against Racism rally 1979.
We marched from somewhere in London to Brockwell park.
Aswad, Stiff Little Fingers,Verdict. Probably others too.

Top Bottom