First loaded test run on my Genesis.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I took my Genesis out for its maiden loaded run this evening, 10 miles on road, off road, couple of steep hills and a couple of long downhills. Handles like a dream! Got enough for a long trip including a few days food. With a full compliment of water I reckon 55 or 60 kilos plus me at 60 kilos. Averaged 13 miles an hour which I thought reasonably good. Love it!

20230425_170240.jpg

Slick

Guru
I reckon that's better than reasonably good, and much faster than I'm planning with the same bike, although the rider might be significantly heavier. :blush:

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It will be either the Rebellion Way or a trip to Glastonbury (town most definitely not the festival). Really fancy the Rebellion Way and love Glastonbury as it is a bit bonkers. Going in May at some point, regularly looking at weather for a half decent trip. Don't mind a bit of rain but would like dry as I can preferably. It'll be wrong whatever I pick of course! 😁

rualexander

Legendary Member
I took my Genesis out for its maiden loaded run this evening, 10 miles on road, off road, couple of steep hills and a couple of long downhills. Handles like a dream! Got enough for a long trip including a few days food. With a full compliment of water I reckon 55 or 60 kilos plus me at 60 kilos. Averaged 13 miles an hour which I thought reasonably good. Love it!

View attachment 686927

55 or 60 kilos? Where are you planning on going, the Sahara desert?

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I just take everything and more. It's built to travel and I like to be comfy and as self sufficient as possible for as long as possible.
That does include the bike, 3 days food, 4 days clothes, light weight two man tent I can the bike in one half.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
On my coast to coast we stayed at grinton yha and a Dutch cyclist spent the evening unpacking his 4 panniers and was still doing it when we returned from the pub, on leaving with our frame and saddle bags the next morning he commented "I could learn something from you guys" which amused us all day!!

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
60kg seems most excessive for a touring load. I've ridden with a strong, expert tourer whose bike weighed 40 or 50kg, and he was covering a lot more miles than you will…

View attachment 686927
Good man!
Did it "feel" different to a normal pootle or were you just observing how everything went? Did people look at you differently? It might be a bit different there and so close to home but a handy tip is to stop for a coffee or pint and produce a map. People will flock to you! For maximum effect, adopt a foreign tourist persona ^_^

10 miles in distance can be continents in our minds - or maybe that's just me ^_^

Delighted for you that your new bike is working out so well for you.

At only 60 kilos you will barely be able to pedal a 60 kilo bike. I suggest you try to bulk up a bit and shave some of the weight off the bike/kit. You really need to rethink your strategy and come up with a combo that is more practical.

With the greatest of respect I couldn't disagree more.

@Oldhippy doesn't need to do anything. He's been thinking and preparing about this for a long time, does everything on his bike as far as I know and I'd reckon he's better able to know his own mind.

but something just doesn't stack up numerically.

Stacking up numerically? The day I'm worrying about numbers stacking up is the day I'm not on the bike having an adventure.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It does feel different but well balanced all round. I did stop for dinner at a country pub as it was a nice evening. People did look at me in a different way, all smiled for a change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom