First loaded test run on my Genesis.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like it, it doesn't bother me and there are no rules. Simple. I didn't meticulously weigh anything but shunting stuff around all day I am aufait with approximate weights. Why does it matter! Plus minus 5kg here or there matters not!

I'm definitely with you on the "no rules"! But would you do me a small favour - weigh the bike properly? Bathroom scales accuracy would suffice, I'm just curious, as we rarely see such heavy loads here.

Happy Travels!!!

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
@matticus I have just borrowed scales and including the bike and guessing three full water bottles 56.8kg. Genuinely don't see any issue. I am probably carrying stuff I may never, (portable shower, fold up water box) use but could leave home now and not have to visit a shop for food and not wear the same thing twice in a week. I'm happy and as mentioned previously rules are irrelevant and there is no right or wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Josie Dew is tiny of build and travelled all over various countries and Continents with 60kg. Its really not something to get all hot and bothered about. I could probably take a kindle but prefer a real book or make notes on a phone I prefer pad and pen with small laptop to type on and so on.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Josie Dew is tiny of build and travelled all over various countries and Continents with 60kg. Its really not something to get all hot and bothered about. I could probably take a kindle but prefer a real book or make notes on a phone I prefer pad and pen with small laptop to type on and so on.

I'm pretty certain Josie never had anything like 60kg on most of her tours, certainly not before she started carting around her kids as well.
And I'm 100% certain she didn't have anywhere near 60 kg when I cycled with her in the US.

When I was cycling across the Australian outback 30 years ago, I was carrying several days food and 12 litres of water, on a 16kg bike, along with camping gear (not ultralight), petrol stove and fuel, clothing for a whole year, three books, etc, etc.
If I was 30 years younger I'd do things differently to now too!
And it sure wouldn't be in the Australian Outback! ^_^

@Oldhippy
The good news is that when you get out there and meet folks with a different idea to bike adventuring than your good self it can actually be quite pleasant.

This lady holds the world record for the fastest circumnavigation of the globe on a bike for a woman.
R0010503.jpg

Also in the frame is the trusty Roccado. Like myself, overweight and past it ^_^

Fark the begrudgers. Ride your own tour.

OldShep

Über Member
I guess what I'm expressing is a desire for a bit more kindness.

You can kill people and animals with kindness.
As I get older I carry less and less and if I understand correctly this will be the OP's first tour. After he has done a hilly tour I’d be very surprised if he wants to carry more weight. At least he can’t say "why did nobody question the weight I was carrying".

As I get older I carry less and less and if I understand correctly this will be the OP's first tour. After he has done a hilly tour I’d be very surprised if he wants to carry more weight. At least he can’t say "why did nobody question the weight I was carrying".

For the sake of clarity, my issue is not with questioning. It's with the tone of the questioning.
A less generous person might describe it as nit-picking.

You can kill people and animals with kindness.

I don't think any old hippies were killed by any kindnesses displayed on this thread. It's an interesting theory you espouse but not one that I'd advocate for personally.

I'll quote a part of my own post from a few days ago
But to put things in perspective, I set off on my first, solo, unsupported tour without a puncture repair kit - but two panniers half full of books!^_^There was no point in bringing such a kit because I didn't know how to use it! I can read, though^_^
Of course, Murphy's Law kicked in but so did my luck. A very pleasant German not only fixed my puncture, he patiently showed me how to do it (without once being unkind) and sold me a puncture repair kit.
If I had waited to go until I could fix a puncture, well, I might still be sitting in NL.

As a sign that the world really is flipping it's a German who comes out on top of the kindness stakes! ^_^
In my world, kindness is an intrinsic part of a bike adventure.

I'd be pretty confident that the OP will shave off a bit of weight here and there as their experience on their new bike grows. Unfortunately, I have a mental image of sets of white fangs in a dark corner waiting to leap and scream "TOLD YOU SO!!!"

On a Touring forum, especially, I find that beyond sad.

I hope I'm wrong. And I'll be very happy to admit so.

Slick

Guru
@OldShep not my first tour at all I just carry a load of stuff. It's what I do but this time I've got a bike properly made to do it.

What size panniers do you have?

I've done a couple of tours with Mrs Slick, but I'm preparing for a wee over night test run with my brother to check all our gear is what we need for a longer tour away. I am conscious of weight, but as I said before, most of the weight is already on the rider in my case. :laugh:

I reckon we will be out weekend after next.

Top Bottom